Last chance for reprieve...

oakes3

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Spirit Lake, ID
We've been watching our small flock of 15 seven week-old RIRs and two look very roo-ish. Before they go for an extended stay at the "farm up the road", I though it only fair to get them a second opinion from BC.

Here's one of them with two less well-endowed siblings: Roo?

Thanks!
Marty & David

It does seem to have a pretty red decent sized comb, but my RIRs that are full grown(all hens) Have combs that are actually a little bigger than your chickens. It dosent look to be getting or have any saddle feathers, so I would say it is a hen.

Not the best pic but you can get a good idea of how big its comb is. I know for sure this is a hen,been laying eggs for about 7 or 8 months. THis pic she is about 5 months.

I would say it's a roo based on comb/wattle development and those huge legs. At just 7 weeks of age you won't yet see any saddle or hackle feathers just yet. BUT, I have on occasion had hens who matured faster then others and showed more comb/wattle earlier. So if this bird is destined to the hatchet if it's a roo you might give it some time to be sure it's a he.

Thanks!

We'll wait a bit longer to make sure.

We were hoping that they were just two hyper-developed alpha hens, but the rest of the flock have almost no comb / wattle development yet.
They are larger and more aggressive too, with much thicker legs.

I would say it's a roo based on comb/wattle development and those huge legs. At just 7 weeks of age you won't yet see any saddle or hackle feathers just yet. BUT, I have on occasion had hens who matured faster then others and showed more comb/wattle earlier. So if this bird is destined to the hatchet if it's a roo you might give it some time to be sure it's a he.
It could be a roo, I was just saying i thought it was hen, because of my past experiences with RIRs. All of mine matured fast. I do see why you said roo, especially with its thick legs.

Back
Top Bottom