Last chance hen. Mareks? Cocci? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mysweetgypsy, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Hello, I have a sad little BO hen about 20 weeks old. When she was 6 weeks I had an out break of Cocci in the flock, she was one of the two that alerted me to it. I treated the lot and everyone survived, but she was never 100% after that. Now all these weeks later she is deteriorating. Puffy, pale comb, uncoordinated, skinny, not growing, but otherwise she eats well, drinks well, takes treats with the rest. I have no idea what to do now other than cull her. I retreated for cocci, with Corid, wormed with Wazine, and no one has lice or mites. My coop and run are pretty clean, well ventilated, the birds have plenty of space. I stayed out yesterday to watch her, her droppings look fine too. No drainage from anywhere, eyes and nostrils are clear. I added Sav-A-Chick yesterday, and add ACV everyday, (two different waterers). She drank from both. I am lost! I hate to cull her, especially if it's something simple and cureable. I need some advice. Hopefully someone can save her, I am at the end of my rope [​IMG]

2. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    Anyone? I'm open to ANY suggestions. I really don't want to cull her, but won't keep a sick bird around either. Someone outhere must have SOME ideas [​IMG] She's such a sweetie, I just want to get her fixed up.

3. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi, I wish I had great advice for you but i don't. i just spent the last month trying to cure one of my favorites. It sounds like the same symptoms but my chicken gradually lost motor control of her legs and wings. she never stopped eating and I took every little movement as a sign she was getting better. Between the Vet and myself, we put off the enevitable but did not change the outcome. I can only hope that she enjoyed the many hours of being held and rocked and sung to.
    I am going to sign up for the couse given by Clemson extention for small flock owners so that when this heartbreaking situation comes up again I will have a bit more knowledge about how to treat effectively.
    I'm sorry for your troubles and hope your girl bounces back.

4. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the reply [​IMG] Good luck with your course. Next time you'll have the answer [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I'm so sorry...can you get good whole body shots of her so we can see the condition your speaking of? Unfortunately, it may just be a genetic thing with her and nothing can save her BUT maybe just maybe a photo speaks a thousand words and others can help based on what they see?

6. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    I'll head out right now!

7. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    Not great but I took two of her, and one of her hatch mate, for comparison.

Here she is, kind of unthirfty looking. But grazing with the rest.
    [​IMG]

This looks like the same spot but it's not, she was grazing and is always hunched over for grazing, more so than the others. Her tail is down most of the time, and you can see she just looks uncomfortable?

[​IMG]

Here's her sister, same age. Tail up, nice comb, she's very hearty!!

[​IMG]

Anything?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hard to say. Not Mareks, pretty sure, because she's on her feet, but could be that if she had a bad case of cocci, her intestines were badly damaged and she isn't processing her food as well as she should, not absorbing nutrients well. Wish I could help beyond that suggestion.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup definitely not mareks and she does look very pale...I'm not sure what else I can say now that I saw photos...how have the temps been there? Sometimes that hits birds harder than others? COuld she have gotten into anything poisonous?

10. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    I'm so glad no one thought Mareks! Temps have been good. Not too hot at all, 70's low 80's. I doubt any toxins, this is the first day free ranging, and we don't use any pesticides or poisons for anything. I think speckledhen may have it. She was the first to show sypmtoms back when I had the cocci issue. So it would stand to reason she was hardest hit. If on one thinks Mareks I might just wait this out a bit and see if I can find something to help line her intestine, some probiotics. Any suggestions? Anyone with experience like this? I don't want to stress her out with a million suppliments only to find out this is hopeless. Though I must admit you guys have given me hope [​IMG] Thanks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by