Last chance to sex my Light Brahmas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BLaBauve, Nov 7, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Tomorrow I am sending off my light brahmas to live with a friend. I am keeping one of these 2 - I'm hoping to keep a pullet. Please help me sex them! The first few pictures are off the smaller brahma. He/she has less black than the bigger chick. But this smaller chick has a slightly redder comb. Do I keep the one with the lighter comb? Or do I go with the smaller one with the slightly brighter comb. I haven't seen any wattles yet. They are around 2 months old I think. THANKS!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here you can see the difference in comb colors. The chick on the left is the smaller chick with the redder comb, pictured above.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The last pictures are of the bigger chick that has a lighter comb and is darker on the head, and them some of them together.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Any guesses?

3. gram28

gram28 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Hudson WI
    They look like my 2. The larger of mine had more red on face and comb but never developed any more. the lighter one is laying now and her comb has gotten redder. I'm waiting for the other to lay or crow soon I hope but I'm betting on hen. so go for pullets

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    They look like 2 pullets to me... [​IMG]

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I agree both appear to be pullets. If you want to err on the side of caution though, go with the lighter comb colored one....
    Very pretty birds [​IMG]

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I really want to keep the smaller one - with the redder comb. She's cuter. . . but maybe it's safer to go with the one with the paler comb. Although the difference in color is very slight.

7. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Regardless of the redder comb, the smaller one looks girlier to me but I am very new at this. Her head looks kind of round and narrow and the other looks a hair angular. Perhaps that is just because of the size difference, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by