Last chance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by patrolman490, Jul 7, 2010.

1. patrolman490

patrolman490 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    I have 5 chickens, 2 Americuanas, 3 RR, The are pecking each others rear ends to the point that there are no feathers left. I have tried everything that has been mentioned on this board, more protein, free ranging, pine tar, blue kote etc. My last effort will be to isolate them one at a time until their feathers grow back, then see what happens. My question is how long should I isolate them. Will the feathers grow back and how long does that take. Their rear ends are right down to the skin. Pretty disturbing to see. If this doesn't work I may have to cull them and start again.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Are you sure that they are pecking each other and not themselves? Maybe they need a good dusting. I had a hen that looked just like that when I bought her and I dusted her with DE and all her feathers grew back without any more problems. Good luck.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'd check them for lice/mites first, visually inspect them. If you see lice/mites use sevin dust to kill them and redust in 10 days. Dust their coop, roosts, nests also. Their feathers probably wont come back til after they molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by