1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Last chick keeps falling over

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jonezjollyfarm, Apr 13, 2016.

1. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    So my last chick to hatch seems to be having trouble getting on its feet. It falls on one side and kicks like crazy but can't seem to get up. If I help it it can stand but after a few steps it falls and can't get back up. It's like the wing on that side isn't working. Any suggestions? I've got it in the incubator still. I can't put it in with the other till it can move about.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Try putting it in a coffee cup.

It will give him some support and should make him keep his legs under him. And will make him use his legs to move and look around.

Sometimes it works

3. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    I did try to put in a bowl with a towel around it so it had to sit up and it jumped out. Then a smaller bowl and it jumped out. Maybe a coffee cup is deep enough. I'll try that thank you so much

4. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    So far so good. It didn't flop out of it in 10 seconds. And it can stand. It's not super thrilled to be stuck in a cup but hey.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How do the legs look? Are they directly under the chick or out to the sides?

6. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    They seem to be under it. I think the one wing is weak or injured. No that it's on its feet I can see it move but not nearly as well as the other. I'm going to leave it in the cup till morning and try to feed it some chick feed mash and let it work those muscles a bit more and see how it walks.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  7. BrieCheese23

BrieCheese23 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    I had a little D'uccle who was my second to last to hatch and he would not stand for the life of him, so I put a box with the top and bottom folded in around him with one of the other chicks in there for company. For the first day he kept flipping over and kicking like mad, but after a bit of recooping, he now walks fine. It started out as a few steps, but now I can't even tell which one was the weaker one now at day 3.

8. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    This one will stand and can stand just once it falls over on the one side it can't get back up. The coffee cup seems to be working so far. I wish I had left another in with it because now I feel awful it's all by itself stuck in a mug but it was getting pecked at so I took everyone else out to give it some time to get with it. I'm hoping tomorrow I can get some feed in it so it has some energy for some chicky pt. It's been trying to climb out and pecked the qtip I was trying to give it water with. That to me says it has some fight left in it.

9. BrieCheese23

BrieCheese23 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    I'm glad it's working :) how's the little guy this morning?

10. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    A little better. I took it out of the cup and it scampered around. It did fall over and was almost up when it gave up trying. I suspect it should be good by the evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by