last couple questions .....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pefferlawchicken, May 4, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok , 4 and 1/2 week old chicks going out today, how high should the heat lamp be off the ground and where should i put it ? , over the roosts , or just near the ground??? also we dont have much vetilation right now our coop is still in the making but for 9 4 and a 1/2 week old chicks how much do they need ?

thanks [​IMG]

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    bump ,,, anyone please:rolleyes:

3. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish I could help [​IMG]

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    If you use the standard 95 degrees first week, then drop 5 degrees per week. I would say 75 to 80 degrees under the lamp.....

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not sure I would put them in there if there is not much ventilation.

6. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What I would say...yeah....that is just what we did and our 4.5 week old chicks are thriving even with the 50* weather we suddenly had...plus dampness , rain and chilly. [​IMG]

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Do you have a thermostat so you can put it under the light? That will tell you how high to put the lamp (ie: how warm it is under the lamp). You can pick one up at Target or Walmart for $1. Digital ones, which give you immediate readings cost about $8. Check in the reptile/pet section.

75-80F sounds like a good temperature. Make sure they have a space where they can get away from the heat if they want to.

Depending on how high your roost is, and what kind of chickens you have will determine if you should put it above the roost or at the floor. I'm going to guess that you should leave it on the floor until they're a little older.

Be careful with your ventilation. You don't want it getting too hot in there and cooking those little babies. Maybe you should wait to put them out until their coop is ready?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by