Last day to turn the eggs! So excited! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kbruce, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Kbruce

Kbruce Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi this is my first time hatching eggs and I'm so excited! Today is the last day I turn them so lockdown tomorrow and we'll see what happens...everything seems fine up till now air cells, veins, movement when candling! I have 6 Cochin bantam eggs and two blue Araucana eggs in the incubator. Do I need to do anything else besides increase the humidity and leave them alone? Should I put them in an egg carton to hatch or do you let them hatch on that grill thing? It seems so hard to me shouldn't it be softer?
    and if anyone else is due let me know!
    Guess I'm just nervous [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I just lay them on their sides to hatch. You are on the right track.

[​IMG]

3. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I'm still turning a couple times tomorrow, but lockdown about 6. After candling today I have 5 silkies for sure going good, 2 maybe's, and can't see a blasted thing in my marans eggs so all are staying in. You can put paper towels down on the wire and makes it easier to clean too! Good Luck!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My lockdown is tomorrow!

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    There are different methods. I don't have a automatic turner, and I have found the egg carton method works very well especially with shipped eggs. I just leave them in the carton to hatch. There is less rolling around. I also put paper towels on top of the wire, it seems to keep my chicks from having certain accidents. Just putting them on their sides on the wire will work just fine. I did it that way for many years and got basically the same hatch rate as I do with the current method that I use now.

6. Kbruce

Oct 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks to everyone who replied! It's so nice to hear from others experiencing the same thing at the same time! I appreciate the encouragement and advice from you all [​IMG] I had no idea it would be so nerve racking lol

All of the eggs are from my own flock and new rooster but I'm not sure what he is or what I'll get when they hatch. I think he is a silver old English bantam rooster based on research and the hen is partridge Cochin bantam! The Cochin eggs are easy to see inside but the two blue Araucana eggs are hard to see anything, I've only seen movement once and that's it!

Please post back at let me know how your hatches are going [​IMG] I bet silkie babies are adorable!
    Thx again...

Kbruce

7. Dbc

Dbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm gonna give you one tip! The first tie I hatched chickens they were early! I had some due yesterday! They are just now showing any life! So my tip is be patient! It will help a lot! They could be late but don't worry about it!

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I put the eggs in egg cartons, covered the wire with paper towels and waited for the fun to begin. I think the egg cartons kept the newly hatched chicks from rolling the unhatched eggs around as they moved around. And that paper towels made clean up at the end of the hatch so much easier! Good luck!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. Kbruce

Oct 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh my goodness how exciting! Thanks so much for posting a pic [​IMG] they are adorable! I sure hope I will see the same in the next couple of days! Did they all hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by