last duckling left alive ! need help whether to assist hatching or not! please help

korme5

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Hey guys so back story is I had eggs under 2 broody ducks but then crows started raiding the nest and then when a baby did hatch the mums trampled it! So I took the remaining 3 eggs off the mums and put them in the incubator. So the first one pipped then died probable only 5 hours later I was away that night so I wasnt able to keep an eye on it and it seemed to pip fine but then died and after I opened it up I found itd head in the middle of the egg not in the air sac or near the hole. Why did it do this?
The other egg externally pipped at about 2 30pm (it is now 10 30am AUS) it was just banging on the shell and not getting anywhere so I scratched a tiny hole and after that it managed to make a hole itself. Its beak is out and I can see it breath and it cheeps. So I have it in the incubator I have gotton the humidity up and the egg is sitting on wet paper towel. I have wet the exposed membraine with a q tip. Is there anything else I should do? This is my last viable egg and I dont want the baby to turn like the other and die. I am quite worried even though I think this baby is going well. I am keeping a close eye on it what should I do if it turns? How long between pipping and zipping and zipping and hatching? It has been externally pipped for about 18 hours and shows no signs of wanting to zip. It is alot quieter now and only cheeps when I talk to it it only moves its beak it desnt wiggle or anything. When should I help zip it?? Please help I am worried and dont want to lose this one too!

This was it maybe 10 hours ago the membraine is startng to go yellow now

Ok so I went ahead and removed the big end of the shell because he was getting more lethargic, I removed the shell and the first membraine with no blood and cleared the inner membraine from his nostrils with still no blood. I then wet the membraine there are some red vessles still so I left it and put him back in the infubator. The membraine seems like it could be a little tough so I am leaving him for now a few hours then relook at the membraine. I think he is almost ready to come out but I will leave him for awhile to be sure. Here is a picture of what I did it isnt very clear sorry

Thanks I could use help. I have read all the threads available on assisted hatching but having someone to triple check my work would be great.
I checked him agai because I was worried about his breathing and found the membraine with very little blood in it and the blood that was in it was clotted so I stretched the membraine over the sides of the shell and there was no bleedig at all he is back in the incubator now. And hopefully start to wiggle himself out.
Heres an update pic

is this big enough for him to wiggle out? Or will it need more? Also is there anythin else you can think of that I need to get fr him? I have unmedicated chick feed and brewers yeast and brooder and everything is fine. Will he need any electrolytes or probiotcs?? Just so I am prepared

I think he should be able to get out, but check on him to make sure he's making progress.

We used save-a-chick electrolytes (works for ducklings) is he yawning or stretching,. Im thinking the poor lil guy is tired.

Ok he has started wiggling and seems to be tryimg to get free I think he is tired though. I am fairly sure his yolk is all absorbed but I cant see so I am not goimg to rush him gettin out. I will grt some electrolytes after he hatches just as a pick me up. But not until he hatches because I dont think I can leave the incubator that long! Thanks for the support to! Makes me feel less crazy

Hi I have hatched ducklings in my incubator but am by no means an expert. Don't rush ducklings can take a few days to hatch so don't stress to much just keep the humidity up. I have assisted with two of my ducklings and while they were both healthy they didn't thrive as well as their siblings. It is hard to sit on your hands but don't get to stressed ducks have periods where they will rest and not do much. Let him wiggle out himself your in danger of them bleeding to death if they are still attached to the egg. As long as he can breath (which by the pictures is obvious he can) just wait a while. When did he/she first pip?

Yeahh I am not touching him anymore he first pipped over 20 hours ago. I got no blood when I pulled back the membraine and 98perent of the vessels were clear the only blood was clotted old blood. I am leaving him to get out on his own now. This is the expected hatch date so he is doing well

I think the problem was the membraine was to sticky because when I pulled on it it wouldnt let go of the Feather s and now he is trying to pop his head out but there is this one bit of membraine that is just holding on. Does this mean my humidity was to high?

Back
Top Bottom