1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Last Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swamp Roo, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I set my fist batch of eggs to test out the bator a while back. Day 22 and 5 out of 6 eggs have hatched. The last egg has not shown any signs of life yet. So I plan on just letting it go for another 4-5 days. I swear the five little buggers that have hatched are playing basketball with the last egg, it's in a different spot every time I look! So much for not turning the eggs.[​IMG] That just can't be good. I've thought about wedging it between the ziplock baggies full of sand that I am using as heat sinks, but I don't know if that could cause hatching issues(provided the egg is even viable). How do people deal with this? I'm going to yank the five in the AM and put them in the brooder. One way or another I got my first 5 and I am happy.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I once used a clear plastic bowl over an egg that was being bashed about. I did not have any problem, and it hatched fine.

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I was told to place the eggs (point down) in an egg carton to hatch. That way they cant kick the others around. I have not tried it yet but many do this. Instead of just setting them put them in the carton. 5 out of 6 is really good either way!!!! Congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by