Last eggs of the year for me..probably :-)

rarebreedeggs4u

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Morrow, AR
OK, I'm setting my last eggs for the year. I'll just keep telling myself that. With these young girls laying such pretty eggs, I just can't stop myself
love.gif

I just washed/soaked (yes, you can gasp) 10 Wheaten Penedesencas, 9 Partridge Penedesenca, 10 Barred Bantam Cochin and 6 Silkie pullet eggs. After they finish drying in the rack, i'll set them. I have to keep telling myself, NO MORE EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR. If it wasn't so heavy, I'd pack it up, but nah
big_smile.png
We have hatches this weekend, next weekend and this group will be due on December 8. I've lost my mind~LOL Heck, it's already freezing outside and the babies are doing great so far in their brooder shelves
smile.png

It's going to be cold from now on, no matter what....so.... No, I want to start scaling back my lights to more winter hours to give them a break before restarting with Spring lighting in January....hmmm
hmm.png
I'll just stick today's eggs in with these others and that's IT!
wink.png

Last edited:
I did the hatching in the winter thing last year and vowed not to do it again this year because the babies ended up in the house all winter, it was nok to have just a few in the office but it got out of hand fast and ended up being a chicken zoo in there with several slapped together enclosures with just a narrow walkway to do the "chores" Drove me NUTS but then again I am in a residential neighborhood undercover
cool.png
..... Sort of (free range) luckily the neighbors LOVE the flock and want to be outlaws just like me. I suppose if you had the space like a farm or lots of land you could go hatch crazy. It is a very powerful addiction but fun
big_smile.png

Good luck on only setting one batch
lau.gif
I forsee a christmas hatch in your future
gig.gif

Quote:
We're hatching every week until this last batch on December 8, so plenty of chickies for us
wink.png
We do have a large farm, but my chicken barn (for breeding stock) has only 10 pens, including the larger brooder area. The earlier hatches have young birds that will go in my general (eating) egg layer stock too, as well as future breeding birds. I see myself building more tractors too
wink.png

Good luck with that....
I hope your eggs are all a success.
I can't hatch anything till spring. I have no space in the house for them, and the winter housing is maxed! Next year, I will have my big chicken House built before August (i hope)!

Well if you're looking for a customer for your Blue Polish eggs, hollar at me!! Hubby is an enabler and just told me that he wants me to get more Polish in a couple of weeks. Problem is I'm having a hard time finding Polish eggs.

Laurie

Quote:
LOL, Laurie. I'll keep you updated on how these girls do. Since they are just starting to lay, it will be at least a few weeks before I'd consider them ready to begin selling. I did set those first two eggs too, just in case
wink.png
I also hope to have my NPIP certification in a month or so, so that will be wonderful to have finished before Spring!

I am having the same issues. Just as the bator gets near empty, someone like sweet BAMACHICKEN will give me a dozen of her fine Black Orp eggs to hatch and enjoy. What is a chickeneer to do? HATCH THEM!!

Back
Top Bottom