last few hatches gone to crap

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BairleaFarm, Dec 18, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Back months ago my hatch rates were good. I buy eggs and hatch my own. The last few hatches have been crap. I had 15 eggs doing good at day 10. Moving growing etc. 2 hatched. The rest have died late I would assume a day or so before lock down. I cracked the eggs and most were fully developed with a little yoke left. What could cause them all to die (on several different hatches) The only think i can think of would be the lack of rotating. Ive only been doing it twice a day since work has consumed most of my time. The temps are staying about right in teh incubator. The hatcher is all over the place. between 96-100* (around 50% humidity). Are they dieing in lockdown?

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I dont think turning the eggs only twice a day is the problem. Probably the wide variation in temp. I would check the air cell to see if they are too dry or too much moisture.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Try and stabilize the temperature. Also, are you cleaning out the hatcher/incubator after each attempt (using a disinfectant, whether it is vinegar or a hard hitter like bleach)?

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Its got to be the temp swing in the hatcher. I never have been able to get this thing exactly right. I think its going to be culled as of today. Lost to many peeps because of it. The thing might make a good brooder. Humdity has always been an issue with it as well. The air sacks seem more on the dry side than not.

5. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Does this incubator have a wafer thermostat or electronic? If it is a wafer replace the wafer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by