Last Hatch Of The Season [at least that's what I'm telling myself] September 17-23 JOIN ME!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WRVgirl, Sep 20, 2012.

1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I swear to myself daily that I won't buy any more eggs! This is it! Last hatch of the season because I'm hoping come spring, I'll have some hens laying eggs ;)

Anyone else setting up this week?

I just got finished with a crap hatch 0 out of 8 eggs [and that was in my shiny new Brinsea incubator!] so I'm hoping these eggs do a bit better!

I've just set 16 English Orpington eggs and would love to have some other people to chat with while I [not so] patiently pace around my house for the next 21 days!

Here they are! My little beauties :D

[​IMG]

2. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    How exciting!!! I've never hatched chicks but, I will in the spring...I'd love to hear how yours turn out! Good luck[​IMG]

3. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I (think) I will be sitting with you. Our Frizzle eggs are scheduled to be collected on the 24th and arrive at our home on the 26th. I'm so nervous.

Good hatching to you! :)

4. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Awww. I love frizzles! Are they Cochin or silkie? Or something all together different?

Good luck!!

5. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    It is a "grab bag" so to speak. They come from 5 different breeds but I don't know which ones I'll get until they hatch and grow up a little and I can identify them according to the list they sent of possible breeds and with the help of you fine people. =)

I also ordered 3 purebred blue silkies hatching eggs and 3 purebred white silkies hatching eggs.

I basically got scared with all I'm reading about how shipped eggs don't hatch well, so I figured I would order a lot and pick which three I wanted to keep...and find good homes for the others. =)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. Rick677

Rick677 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    Norwalk, OH
    So, I had a Buff Orpington hen go broody on the 10th of September. I tried to convince her otherwise until the 12th but she was very stubborn. She hatched in February so was only 7 months old and had only been laying for 6 weeks when she decided to go broody. Anyway, I bought some eggs, 5 Blue Orpingtons, 5 Lavender Orpingtons and 5 Splash Marans and gave them to her late Thursday evening, September 13th. She has not left the nest since so I'm hoping she will stick it out. Over the years, I've probably had three or four dozen hens hatch eggs. I never worried about them. However, this hen has not touched food except for what I've put under her beak in the nest with her. I can't tell about the water... if she is drinking, it is very little and could be explained away as evaporation. I know her instinct is stronger than my brain and that she won't let herself starve but my brain won't let me stop worrying about it. So, my question to all of you is this... have you seen a hen go this long without food and/or water? Longer?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  7. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Rick, I've got no idea and no experience with broody hens...I hope to one day though.

Maybe move the food and water in closer to her and see if she does any better?

8. Rick677

Rick677 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    Norwalk, OH
    I did find "evidence" that she has been eating... had to clean out the nest box. I've been putting feed in the box with her which she eats. Haven't been able to get her to drink yet... will just continue to trust in her instinct.

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I had a chick hatch yesterday and I was so happy! But to my suprise, my broody killed it. [​IMG]
    Totally devastated, I gave my girls 4 more OEGB eggs today. [​IMG]

Wish me luck, and happy hatching!

10. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Good luck chickenpeep!

Sorry to hear about your chick? I wonder what happened? Do they usually kill the babies? Or was it like an oops, I stepped on it moment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by