Last Hatch...Shipped Eggs Too Early, Now Have Prolapses

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jul 29, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    At least I think they are! I candled last night to see which ones to take out for lockdown, and wound up finding almost each egg had broken through the air cell.

I upped the humidity ASAP and it seems to be holding steady. These eggs are from Fowl Visions (second batch). The first batch was a no-go...temps in OK are ripe for murdering hatching eggs.

This second one, so far, I have 7 chicks that have "I think" broken through the air cell. I see movement, alot of it, but it could be that the air cells are so large that any movement appears to be inner pipping.

Anyway, I'm sitting on my hands...trying to keep from messing with them. It's killing me!!! The last Langshan eggs I have in there probably wont' hatch until Saturday (the due date for ALL of the eggs).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Not long now, hope all goes well [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that feeling! I have 3 eggs in lockdown (due Fri the 30th) that I'm dying to candle... *slaps hand*... must stay away from incubator...

4. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    I know the feeling I have been bugging husband all morning since I had to leave 1 pipped and 3 rocking to go to work! [​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No external pips yet....really hoping something starts happening soon!

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    1.5 Brahmas out!!!

1 blue Langshan out!!!

The Langshan hatched out with a bit of a prolapse. Gentle pushing helped a bit. Should be just fine though. Hoping for at least 4 more!

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Well this sucks.

All the chicks are hatching early and they ALL have prolapses. I'm sure part of it is because they were shipped in hot weather, but can't understand what's going on. The humidity for the last three days has been around 70% with the exception of yesterday when it was 80%.

The Langshan chick had a small prolapse, but is doing stellar. The Brahmas...not so much. I mean, they're not dead already but still depressing because I doubt they'll make it. At least 1/4 of the yolk sac is outside of the body. The yolk sac is black and dried, so I'll probably have to clip it off with nail clippers today to keep other chicks from biting it.

I have another Brahma that's hatched out and it also has a prolapse. Today is the due date. I just don't freakin' get it.

On the bright side, my blue Langshan chick is doing stellar in the brooder! [​IMG]

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Chicks don't hatch with yolk problems because the eggs were shipped in hot weather. They are hatching early because the temperature in the incubator is too hot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with Jean. This issue is due to the high temps during incubation and perhaps even in the hatcher. Unabsorbed yolks or difficulty absorbing is the #1 issue with high temps in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by