LAST HOPE!!! 5 day old chick SERIOUS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babychicks, Nov 27, 2011.

1. babychicks

babychicks New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    So I just realized this is my mom's account...
    But I didn't know where to turn.

Well, this is out first time hatching eggs and one little buddy is extremely sick.
    I keep calling "her" Baby... She hatched a day later than the rest of the bunch...

She pecked her way through the shell all by herself... and we opened it a little for her
    so her mouth/ nose was out of the shell. (We had one die earlier because it's mouth was stuck.)

Not too long later she was out and a resting, like the rest of her siblings...

But as the day went on and the others were almost done fluffing.... she still slept.
    She was born just fine, her egg sac was completely adsorbed.

We have been giving her sugar water like everyone says to... and been hand feeding her
    chick starter with a little bit of warm water to make a paste. (She doesn't really eat.)

We tried giving her a boiled egg yoke mashed as well... one bite.. then nothing.

She fights and fights and gets a speckle of food down... then goes to sleep in our hands.

In her house (not sure what its called)... shes kept warm and all she does is sleep.

Today, we found some blood in her poop. [​IMG]
    She threw up some clear/ pink liquid.

She's asleep right now!
    My mom has completely given up on her... but i just can't. she peeps and peeps.
    I'll give up on her when she gives up herself.

She can't walk to well. She is a silikie... so her outside toes are curled under her foot.
    We did a band aid treatment.... but my mom said to take them off...
    cause she looks like she's about to die....

She sleeps on her side and on her back...
    Most times she sleeps on her chest legs straight out behind her.

When she breathes she makes a clicking sound...
    which makes me think she has some sort of respiratory infection.

We don't live too close to town... So I don't have access to medications at the moment.
    I'm just staying with her... because she doesn't seem to get any better.

PLEASE HELP.

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

it sounds like she has a vitamin deficiently. we had a bantam hatch and was week and we were advised to get some poly visol liquid vitamin it is in the infant section of the drug store and get a couple drops down its throat for 3 days. well we got some and the first time the chick is completly different so two more days left of that and hoping ours will be good the first dose and it is up and walking now so maybe that will work for you.... good luck

3. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    I am so very sorry that you are having this problem. It sounds like you did everything you could do. I believe the chick must have serious internal issue's in his or her body. I regeret to inform you that she is not going to make it. The best thing to do would be just keep her in a warm comfortable place and let her pass away peacefully. I know this is hard but it's the right thing to do.

4. babychicks

babychicks New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    Update, i did some percussions on her back and got some mucus out.
    Clear, so I'm guessing that's better than the pink earlier.

Letting her rest and trying again in a little while.

5. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Please keep us informed.

6. babychicks

babychicks New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    Well she pooped even more blood and i had wiped all the crust off her nostril.
    [​IMG] so sad, I guess there really is nothing more that I can do.

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by