Last minute disaster for broody duck - ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by loopy12, Aug 24, 2010.

1. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    My poor Pekin, Daisy...
    4 weeks ago she decided to go broody, which I'd never considered because I thought Pekin's weren't much of a broody breed. She only had 3 eggs in her nest though.
    After a couple of days I found a mishap had occurred leaving Daisy with a yolk-covered breast and just one remaining egg. She has loved and treasured and nurtured this one egg for, I think, 26 days (not exactly sure when she starting sitting full time). Yesterday I candled it while she was out for her morning food and paddle. It was doing beautifully, had pipped internally and was wriggling so I figured another 2-3 days.
    This morning DH let the ducks out, Daisy came out as usual for her 5 minute respite. Half an hour ago DH went to shut them in for the night and found both ducks outside and the duck house door had blown shut! This could only mean she'd been off the nest since this morning - 12+ hours ago. Worse still the weather has been rotten for the last few days - maybe high 60s, and torrential non-stop rain.
    As soon as DH told me, I ran down with a flashlight and candled it. It was stone cold but I think I saw the tiniest flicker of movement, so ran home with it and fired up my brinsea for emergency re-warming. Brinsea, bless its reliability, was up to 95 degrees within 5 minutes and rising fast. I guess we just have to wait and see if the poor little duckling makes it, but I will be so devastated for Daisy if nearly 4 weeks of diligent nesting comes to nothing...please keep fingers crossed...

I guess its the equivalent of a powercut during lockdown! On the positive side I have successfully hatched 24 out of 25 eggs from Donald and Daisy this year in my incubator - they seem pretty resilient, so I'm not giving up hope just yet...

(cross posted in incubating/hatching last night)

2. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Update:
    Well, when I got up this morning it had pipped...and I checked a few minutes ago and it has a second pip in that way ducks do so I'm hoping it'll hatch in the next 24 hours (unlike chicks who just pip then zip in my experience).
    I'm thinking that I'll wait until it hatches then try to put it back in the nest. I've done this before with broody hens, but have no experience with broody ducks and will just hope she doesn't freak out...

3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Hope it works out!

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    c'mon baby daisy!!!! I hope the baby hatches for you. I love your avatar!!

Michelle

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    [​IMG]

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Go lil ducky!!!!!
    keep us updated - and thinking of you guys! [​IMG]

*also i think you wont have many problems with putting the duckling back - ducks are pretty good like that, and Daisy deserves it!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Keep us posted - I hope Daisy's little duckling makes it.

8. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto x a million [​IMG]

9. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Ohh! Rooting for the little guy!

We'll send all our well wishes your way!

10. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    The suspense is killing me. I hope Daisy gets to have her little baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by