Last Minute Questions-2pm today!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hatrick, May 5, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    So we turned on the lamp last night to see what kind of temperature we were dealing with and the thermometer on the side of the tank wouldn't get above 90 degrees. Now mind you, under that lamp it felt ROASTING but I'm not a baby chicken. I'm going to buy a regular thermometer today and set it down under the lamp to see what happens to the temperature.

Now my first question is, the aquarium that we're using is quite large. I believe it's 50-80 gallons. We've got the lamp on one side of the aquarium but of course once you get away from the lamp the temperature drops considerably, should I be blocking off one half of the aquarium for now to keep them from wandering into the "cold zone"?

I'm seeing all this debate now as well about the use of a 250 watt red bulb. That's what I bought, that's what we planned to use but now between people debating it's effect on chicks and/or the potential for FIRE. I'm concerned. Something about melting bulbs and such...good grief. Is this bulb going to be alright?

One more, I promise. I read and heard to use newspaper for the first few days on top of the shavings, but I also heard not to (leg issues and such). I was thinking of just using paper towels on top of the shavings, assuming of course that they're not going to set on fire! [​IMG] Please help me, I'll stop being annoying eventually.[​IMG]

Wish me luck at 2pm today!

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    I wouldn't block off - Occasionally my chicks like their cold zone. where they are in the crate helps me determine if they are too hot or cold. Too cold and they're huddled under the lamp so I lower the lamp. Too hot and they're huddled in the far corner so I raise the lamp. Their behavior tells you when things aren't right. Also, I use pine bedding never had a problem. Good luck

3. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    For the first few weeks, baby chicks need about 1/2 square ft. each in the brooder. If you have a lot more space than that, you can block part of it off until they get a bit bigger.. it's probably a good idea anyway, especially for the first few days.

A 250W red heat lamp is what I use.. I haven't had any problems, and it has been on 24/7 for 3 weeks straight. Just make sure you get one that doesn't have any plastic parts (pyrex makes a great one!)

Newspaper is a bit slippery for baby chicks, so paper towels are a MUCH better choice.

Just as long as you monitor the temp in the brooder and keep an eye on your babies to make sure they are comfy (not too hot or too cold), you should be fine! Good luck!![​IMG]

4. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    You only need to have one area at 90 degrees. It actually is good to have cooler areas so the chicks can migrate to the area where the temperature best suits them.
    I think the only concern about the red bubls is that they aren't too close to anything flammable, or that can melt. Also, however you have it suspended above the acquarium (e.g. clamped) also secure it a second, and maybe even a third way (e.g. attached to a chain). The last thing you want is for it to fall in the bedding and hurt your chicks, or start your house on fire.
    Paper towels are good bedding material for the first several days at least. You will want to change it often so buy a multi roll package. Newspapers are a concern because they are too slick for the new hatchlings.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You want to make sure that the brooder light has a CERAMIC SOCKET for the bulb, (white) not plastic. Walmart sells the ones with plastic.

6. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    were you meaning to say newspaper shreds? I think that would be okay but not newspaper fully intact, because like the above said, way to slippery and can cause leg problems. we never used paper towels over the shavings, and had no problems. but we did find that walmart carries an 85watt red bulb, and we plan to get that the next time we have chicks. but they were out of stock on them, so I need to make sure it's not just a red faced bulb, but an actual red bulb. bought one at lowes and it ended up being painted red outside flood light, no good. and having a "cold Zone" is a good thing, so they can regulate themselves and you will get a better idea of their comfort zone. it's easy to read them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by