last minute quitters question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barnwife, Apr 16, 2009.

1. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I have a question.

Lately I have tried hatching quail, both coturnix and buttons. I have about a 25% hatch rate, BUT 50% make it to within a day or so of hatching...and never pip, so they are FULLY FORMED and dead in the shell...seems like they are HUGE and may have trouble moving enough to pip perhaps? I do not have this problem with ducks or chicks...just the quail.

Do I need to help them pip a day earlier? I need your advice. Thanks!

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Have you asked Monarc? She is the quail queen. We hatch ours at the same settings for chicks. To be honest I never even noticed that they pip the shell, I have seen them pushing out of the shell and it looks more cracked, I always figured they just pushed their way out?

Steve in NC

3. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I think I am beginning to hate the LG... I have a few pm' from folks who said it's from variant temps in the lg ...I think I am going to be very very quick about getting rid of my Lg's once hubby gets me the sportsman in a few months (yay!).

I will ask monarc just in case there is something else I am doing wrong...otehr than using an LG.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

You can't go wrong with a sportsman, I just put a batch in ours to hatch, I did check them and they do have a small pip. I never noticed it before.

Steve

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm thinking swings in temp or humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by