Last night was bad for the boys

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SarahBeth9394, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    So hubby and I are making dinner, son is at band. Son shows up 3 hours early with his thumb tore open. Not enough for stitches but he's gonna have a pretty good skin flap happening. I get him cleaned up and bandaged so he leaves and goes back to band practice.

Not 5 minutes later my hubby..... let me set the scene...... We have an electric stove with the coil burners. It's a very basic stove top with just one indicator light so it is easy to turn the wrong burner on and have it get hot before realizing your mistake. Well we had sat a lid on the burner that was accidentally on. Both of us reached for the lid, he was faster and got nailed. He then reenacted the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where the villain grabs the red hot medallion. Yes that sound came out of him.

I went to David's (grocery store) and all they had for burns was Aloe Vera gel. That was pointless. He goes to Walmart and they had some cream for minor burns. Also pointless. So after an hour and a half of ice water he realizes that the ER is unavoidable. Three of his fingers have huge blisters on them. Call our son to come home and take care of his sister so we can go.

We got to bed about 1:45 last night. He did wake up a couple of times but I never heard him groaning (probably the morphine). I had some bizarre dream about him breaking me out of prison (boy was that out of left field). Oh and he doesn't do well with high doses of pain meds. He gets real bad anxiety and chest tightness and then walks around a getting even more worked up to where I'm questioning whether to call an ambulance. Then it goes away.

I don't know how many times we have commented to each other that one of these days someone was going to get burned on that stove.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    He got morphine? [​IMG]

When I was about 15, I was making spaghetti one night. My usual [​IMG]. My mom was in the living room on the computer.
    I went to strain the pasta as I'd done a million times before, like I said my favorite meal.
    So I set the strainer in the sink, went over to the medium sized pot with long handle that I'd boiled the pasta in (with a teenager sized helping of olive oil in there)... picked up the pot with one hand on the one handle, walked over to the sink, siddled to the side to avoid tripping over the two JRT doggies underfoot waiting for something to fall... and missed. I banged the bottom edge of the pot against the sink and the very hot water and oil sloshed backwards over my whole hand. I didn't drop the pot because of the doggies under my feet.. so I held on to it until I got it in the sink. I called for my mom, and she didn't realize something bad had happened at first.

So we definitely had to go to the ER for that one. The water had gotten the entire back of my hand and the webbing of my thumb and some of my palm.
    It turned pretty red, pretty fast. The ER nurse (Thank God for compassionate nurses!) said it was a 3rd degree burn. He gave me some kind of bath solution to soak my hand in... it felt so good I didn't want him to take it away! [​IMG]
    Then they put on burn cream and bandaged my hand. I didn't get morphine though, no fair! [​IMG]

But before we left, the nurse snuck us a little jar of the burn cream, Silver something or other.... I LOVED that stuff! [​IMG] We used it on minor burns for a few years after that, it always brought instant relief.

That next day though, is really the worst part. If you keep that hand bandaged and don't expose it to air for the first day or two, you can avoid a good helping of pain. After the first few days, it didn't hurt at all, there was just tightness when it came to opening and closing my hand... but it healed up without any kind of scar [​IMG]

I hope he feels better soon!

And you've just gotta tell those two boys of yours what my mom always told me, "If it hurts, don't do it!" < Very Helpful! [​IMG]

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Silvadine cream. [​IMG]

Last December, I was reheating Potato Soup in the microwave for dinner. Three of my children were in the kitchen (TINY kitchen!) and I tripped over my 2-year-old. I also didn't drop the bowl! I set it on the sink, and ran for the bathroom screaming! I am NOT a screamer, and my children were frightened! [​IMG] I had Potato Soup all over my upper left arm, and a small spot on my chest. It was first and second degree burns, with huge blisters. The pain was awful! My hubby came home from work and took me to the E.R., and my cousin came and got the children. The doctor used a scissors to cut the blisters away, and put Silvadene cream on it. That works wonders on a burn! Very soothing, and helps healing begin immediately. He also gave me Percocet for the pain. It took over an hour for it to kick in, but when it did it was awful! It made me so sleepy, but I couldn't sleep. My blood pressure went through the roof, I was hyper-ventilating, anxious, and so dizzy! It lasted for about 6 hours and I never took another one. My hubby called the E.R. and told them how I was reacting, and they said it was a normal reaction! [​IMG] I never had any pain after the first day. I also have no scars, thanks to holding it under the cold bathwater immediately! [​IMG]
    Hope your hubby heals, I can relate to how he is feeling-the pain is easier to bear than the reaction to the medicine!

4. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    So we go to Walmart today to get his prescription filled and more dressings and when we get home I pull out my phone and had missed a call thanks to bad reception in the store. My youngest barfed at school. She's in the special needs class and I always send a spare change of clothes for her. They got her changed and put her clothes in the washer. How nice it is to have someone else clean up the puke once in a while. She and I have passed something back and forth to each other over the last week or so.

Oh the ER gave him a tube of silvadine cream. They said it was good that we came because they got the cream on him right away and that type of burn can infect easily.

5. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    How is your hubbie doing a few days later?

[​IMG]

Baby - Funny about those naughty ones underfoot, huh? LOL. At least we know not to drop these things [​IMG] Thanks for the name of the cream [​IMG]

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    You're welcome. [​IMG] I can't blame them too much-they were hungry and really didn't know it could happen.

7. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    Hubby has healed up alot and is down to just a few band aids. But boy those blisters were big. Sons thumb is sporting super glue. Daughter only puked that one day. And tonight I will have a house full of teens for sons 17th birthday.

8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:Sounds like fun-NOT!!! [​IMG] Glad to hear everyone is doing better, though! Tell your son
    [​IMG]

9. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    There's only 1 kid in the group that is irritating and the rest of them I love having over. They play video games and watch movies. We watched Rifftracks Batman and Robin and laughed our rear ends off. We got him an X-box and his friends got him extra controllers and he got some used games from Game Stop so they had lots to do. Mr Irritating only irritated us once. We had pizza, nachos, cookies, cake and ice cream and there are plenty of left overs so no cooking tonight. It was a blast. The funny thing is this school year the day really wears out our 12 year old and she told me it was time for bed at 9 so I tucked her in and she slept through all the party.

10. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    a year and a half ago I was in the kitchen browning a roast in a large cast iron skillet before putting it in the oven. When I brown beef, I put the fire as high as it can go safely, then turn it down or move it to the oven to complete it. The meat fork broke, and splattered oil on half of my face, down my neck, and down into my blouse. It was bad. Skin started coming off, and the rest blistered. Thank goodness I had my glasses and not contacts on. There are so many muscles on your face, blink, sneeze, expressions, talk, lick your lips, chew....the pain was terrible...but a few years before I burned my little finger badly with glue from a professional glue gun, and that hurt so bad it was hard to breath for a few minutes. Immediatly put my hand in cold running water and instictively peeled the harden glue from my finger. Took the skin with it. Only used fresh aloe from one of my aloe plants, and THAT hurt even worse, BUT when that healed, I didn't even have a scar.

When I went to my Dr with the face burn, he offered me something to help with the pain, and something to apply to the burns, but knowing it would help me sleep, I worried that I'd accidently do something to make it worse. The scabbing was nearly as bad as the first part, because they couldn't heal as one large unit. They'd split, and that was unpleasant. (downplaying this, sleep for the first few days was impossible) BUT I kept using fresh aloe, cutting the plant with knives steralized, then washing the leaf before cutting the leaf open to extract the gel. I'd make sure my hands were VERY clean before applying. My Dr was shocked when a few months later he couldn't even find one scar from the burn on my face. No infections either.

The only thing is, using aloe processed and bottled isn't always effective. It is pretty hard to kill an aloe plant, if the weather gets cold, you can even grow a few indoors and keep them near a window that gets daylight.

When I was very young I used to walk in my sleep, and my house had floor heaters with grates built on the floor in the hall. You had to walk over them to get to the bedrooms/bathroom (never understood this concept). I stepped on it in the dead of winter, grilled up my foot. Remember my mom soaking my foot in tepid water with tea bags. Think it worked well because there was no trauma recalled after that associated with pain. Broke my habit of sleepwalking though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by