Last night was the big night...one big flock now

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Darklingstorm, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Well last night I joined my entire flock together, 9 big girls of 9 months of age and 4 pullets of 3 months of age and for the first time ever 1 rooster of 3 months old. I've got a camera in there and keep checking on them this morning. so far so good, minimum pecking.
    Last night when I first put them in, one of the pullets cried pitifully and broke my heart but it had to be done eventually. That darn rooster with the other 4 little girls was getting way to heavy to carry to the brooder/grow out box in the garage every night and morning.

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Congrats on the merge, I did it last week, although my two flocks were 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 months old. They were in equal sized coops I just opened the hall between the two, now they have twice as much room, plus a 4 x 8 hall joining them. It really did work well. No more occasional flusters than before, every once in a while each of the girls' gets on somebody's nerves. If anything, due to the "new" behavior is better in the whole flock.

3. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    how did u combine them

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Glad it worked out well!!! [​IMG]

5. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Waited till then put them in.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Glad to hear things seem to be going well. [​IMG] For me, that's been the most stressful part of keeping chickens, merging newbies/flocks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by