last night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by herefordlovinglady, May 12, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    So last night DH and I go to bed at 10:30. At 12:30 i was woke up by the noise of chickens in distress. I jump up yell at DH that something was getting the chickens, ran out of the bedroom, ran out side and started yelling for DH to hurry up, i could see some movement in the backyard, so i ran back into the house, tried to find one of the four flashlights i had just bought (none were where i put them), and yelled at DH to get his gun. I run back outside and started running towards where the noise is coming from, trying to make as much commotion as possible hoping what ever it was would just drop what it was doing and leave. I see chickens and roosters all over the yard scrambling. The windows are open in the house, you can hear me yelling a mile away, still no DH, I run back into the house, back to the bedroom and yell at him again, finally i shook him, he woke up and wanted to know what is going on, i said something has got the chickens all upset and i need some help. He gets up, puts his close on (I am running around with barley nothing on) and goes outside, looks around and goes back into the house and goes back to bed. I am still outside trying to figure out what was going on and he just leaves me there. Now I am upset because I cannot tell if any of my hens or roos are missing, i find as many as i can and push them to the open yard where some light is, they start going back to roost. this morning i could not account for one of them. Hopefully when i get in from work she will be back. Hopefully.

I have asked DH on several occasions to show me how to shoot one of the guns in the house so i would be better prepared to protect myself or my chickens, he has yet to do this. Well today, i went and got my application for a gun permit, went to the gun shop and picked out one of those taurus judges, the kind that shoots 410/45. I am going to get my own gun, get someone to teach me how to use it, buy me more flash lights and if i have to rig up a spot light out side to help me better see what is going on. Oh and on top of everything else, i have a huge gash in my foot from running around bare footed. [​IMG]

sorry for the rant, i was just so frustrated and disappointed i could not better handle the situation.

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I hope you find your hen! I know how frustrating it can be, I'm going this weekend to a range to really learn how to shoot.

On a side note: I checked out your website, your not far from me, I've passed your farm a few times lol.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you are going to have a gun around, you MUST know how to shoot it; how to care for it; and how to do both VERY WELL. Locate and call a gun range and ask about lessons. Sign up for them and keep taking them until you can shoot what you are aiming for, easily.

Also, get a floodlight that has a motion detector. You want one with a wide angle of detection that will stay on for 15-30 minutes. Don't use compact flourescent bulbs as they do not reach full brightness for several minutes, and you want to be able to look out the window and see what is going on. (Although if you are wanting to illuminate an area for nighttime activity, a party, etc., where you have the luxury of waiting for them to come on, they will do fine.)

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I should of added, i have been around guns all my life and have shot shotguns, and hand guns and have taken courses. but the problem is i need to be familiar with the guns my dh has. i do not feel comfortable about picking up a gun and just knowing how to use if i am not familiar with the gun.

i like the idea of going to a range and learning to shoot the one i purchase, i also like the idea about the motion detector. i plan to purchase four of the niteguarde lights also to put around the property. i just cannot stand not being able to take care of my flock. i brought them here, i have a responsibility to assure their safety. i know free ranging adds so much to the mix, but that is my only choice for these game birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by