1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Last of the 3.5 week old chicks - A Welsummer - he or she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Montana-Hens, May 10, 2008.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    This last one has me even more stumped. I think it is a she and then I look at the photos and say maybe not. I've looked at pictures online all over the place and say he one minute and she the other. Maybe it is too early to tell, but I am going to tryin polling you all/

Head Shot:
    [​IMG]

Front view: The feathers say woman, the posture says male.
    [​IMG]

Side view: The feathers in person aren't as dark so I am thinking female, and then I am thinking male because maybe the camera shows the true colors....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am so lost on this one...what do you think?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    You stumped me. I'd say roo because of the stance, but the comb looks too tiny. I know someone else will give you a definite answer... if it were me, I'd just wait it out [​IMG]

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Pics of our Welsummer pullets might help. They look really similar! Ours had a roo-ish stance as well and we were really worried. But at 8 weeks now we're pretty sure they're girls!!
    I know other people with roos noticed dark breast feathers and that the eyeliner faded faster than the girls.... hope these help!

at 4 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

at 5+ weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

later:
    [​IMG]

4. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Right now she looks just like Ophilia. Let's hope she follows in her "cousins" footsteps!

I know we all want to know right away, but it isn't always possible, but I do appreciate how everyone on this list shares their experiences.

[​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    hey give me my wellie back her is at 3.5 weeks check out how long her tail is AHHH blurry pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    no name for her yet

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My little Welsummer cockerels are pretty obvious at must two weeks old, so I'd say yours is a pullet. Mine already have big pink combs that young!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by