Last on the pecking order

Amz87

Chirping
Mar 9, 2018
Sydney Australia
I have a weird question not sure if there will be answers for this so please forgive me if this makes no sense.
I have 4 hens, all roughly the same age. “Big Mumma” started laying on the 4th of June (and the start of winter here in Australia we get one egg from her a day) she’s a Plymouth Rock. Next to lay was “angel” she’s a gold laced barnevelders (we get 1-2 out of her a day depending on the temp of the day)Our 2nd barnie “spicy” looks like she will start laying very soon her comb and wattles are almost fully grown. But our 2nd Plymouth “Nigel” she’s the same age as big Mumma, who started laying 1st, well she’s the bottom of the pecking order in their group and her comb and wattle don’t look like they have grown hardly any since I got her as a young pullet.
Is this because she’s on the bottom of the pecking order and gets picked on/left out from time to time or maybe something else going on? She looks so funny fully grown quite large bird without a grown comb lol

I have a weird question not sure if there will be answers for this so please forgive me if this makes no sense.
I have 4 hens, all roughly the same age. “Big Mumma” started laying on the 4th of June (and the start of winter here in Australia we get one egg from her a day) she’s a Plymouth Rock. Next to lay was “angel” she’s a gold laced barnevelders (we get 1-2 out of her a day depending on the temp of the day)Our 2nd barnie “spicy” looks like she will start laying very soon her comb and wattles are almost fully grown. But our 2nd Plymouth “Nigel” she’s the same age as big Mumma, who started laying 1st, well she’s the bottom of the pecking order in their group and her comb and wattle don’t look like they have grown hardly any since I got her as a young pullet.
Is this because she’s on the bottom of the pecking order and gets picked on/left out from time to time or maybe something else going on? She looks so funny fully grown quite large bird without a grown comb lol

I have the exact same issue with my 4 chickens. Three of them have full comb and wattles, and all have started laying (one just started yesterday). The last one is just like you described...lowest in pecking order and same size as others but immature looking. She actually just started getting wattles yesterday, although comb is nowhere in sight.

Have you checked her crop at night to make sure she is getting enough to eat? She is probably just a late bloomer like mine. Mine are 23 weeks right now.

Aww. Well maybe post pics... they always can help. I would make sure that she is getting enough food/water! Some chickens just take longer to lay!

I’ll get a photo of her in the morning, I always make sure they are all eating and drinking i watch them and she will often get given some more after the others have finished and she’s definitely drinking. They also free range all day too.

I have the exact same issue with my 4 chickens. Three of them have full comb and wattles, and all have started laying (one just started yesterday). The last one is just like you described...lowest in pecking order and same size as others but immature looking. She actually just started getting wattles yesterday, although comb is nowhere in sight.

Have you checked her crop at night to make sure she is getting enough to eat? She is probably just a late bloomer like mine. Mine are 23 weeks right now.

I’ve never checked crops, my girls don’t like to be picked up but I guess I’ll just have to start lol I wouldn’t know what I was feeling for though?

I'm guessing the other barnie is also laying.
Might be time for a butt check:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

This is interesting I’m going to check and see if i can her a hold of them lol

Back
Top Bottom