Last PURE genetic red jungle fowl in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Nov 24, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Watching a show on National Geographic Channel.
    Explorer: "How Man Tamed The Wild"
    They are going over chickens now..
    Amazing info!
    I always thought that jungle fowl WERE chickens.. but they're genetically different.
    Some company/govt. (whoever..) in Georgia let these jungle fowl loose in Fitzgerald Georgia for hunters in the 60's?... because these jungle fowl actually flew like wild birds... not like the domestic chickens today. It showed them shooting them while they were flying..
    Then the loose jungle fowl mated with domestic chickens... and the wild offsprings are still living in this town generations later.
    Anyways..Some scientist guy down there in Georgia has (what they believe) to be the LAST remaining PURE red jungle fowl. He got them from some university there.
    They said that many people today THINK that they have pure jungle fowl today... but they do NOT. And they can test DNA to prove this. Because jungle fowl and domestic chicken DNA is different... (Or something like that... [​IMG] )
    Anyways interesting show.. Watch! Cause i'm sure i messed up all that info.. [​IMG]
    They also had these "metro dogs" on there... pretty good stuff...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Wow what interesting information. I was always told that all chickens descended from Red Jungle Fowl. Makes me wish I had satellite so I could watch it!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would watch but it's Criminal Minds time. On Nat. Geo. I'm sure they'll play it again. Thanks for the tip Red.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Says its on again Tues, Nov. 30th 6pm (i have Direct T.v.)
    Now they are doing foxes and the Siberian study they did on them...and are still doing on them. (started 50 yrs ago) A Russian scientist started it 50 yrs ago.. back then Darwinism was punishable in Russia.... so he had to do his "evolution" study in secret under the guise of some kind of fur farm...
    Amazing to see how the foxes fur turned different color as they became more tame and domestic. The more wild foxes were black and as they domesticated them their coats actually changed..... pretty cool.
    The metro dogs killed me though.(feral dogs) . these dang dogs ride the subways and get off at the RIGHT spots where they live.. (i couldnt even do that.. [​IMG]..)

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I watched that too! Very interesting show!

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have DISH, not DIRECT .... what channel is it on? I wanna see it!
    Thanks for telling about this .... sounds great!

Oooops.... I see .... National Geographic. Darn, I don't get that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I'll have to remember to set my DVR to record it. I have both Nat Geo & Nat Geo Wild so it should play here for me.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Nat Geo is on a teaser month. It gets shut off on the 30th unless we subscribe. We won't because they will have another teaser channel for Dec. It just rotates. [​IMG]

9. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    i real want to watch it where can i watch it online

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

Definitely! The thread started in 2010 I thought it was this week! :lol: I wonder if there is a way to still see it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by