Last several bator hatches failed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pmsnrn, Jul 23, 2011.

1. pmsnrn

pmsnrn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    HELP!!! I have 2 of the styrofoam bators, one with an auto-turner, and one I am using as a hatcher. But my last several hatches have been less than successful. Less than 50% hatching, and of the ones that do hatch...not all survive. Used to have very successful hatching, and not doing anything differently that I can think of... Any ideas????[​IMG]:barnie

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Your you checking to see what happened? Infertile eggs maybe?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Feed, time of year and most importantly bird conditioning is crutial to fertility.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I am assuming you have had several successful hatches in these same incubators before?.. if that's the case it could be residue of whatever you used to clean them OR a bacterial issue form not being sterilized well enough

5. pmsnrn

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:I have been candling to check fertility, and have culled the eggs which were not developing. The eggs progress along nicely with development, then...NOTHING!!![​IMG]

6. pmsnrn

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:Yeah, successful hatches before. Now, it's like they get to the end of the road, and stop!

7. yinepu

Quote:Yeah, successful hatches before. Now, it's like they get to the end of the road, and stop!

Sounds like a bacterial issue then

how do you clean your bator?.. there is a good chance something funky is surviving and killing off your chicks before they can pip

8. pmsnrn

Apr 26, 2011
    I have been cleaning with a bleach solution. Any suggestions? Haven't cleaned the turner. Might be it?

9. yinepu

Quote:personally I never use bleach.. leaves too much of a residue behind.. and yeah.. when you clean an incubator everything inside it needs to be cleaned

i go through several steps when i clean:

1) clean out all the loose gunk
    2) wash with a mild dish detergent to get the rest of the gunk and then rinse
    3) when it LOOKS clean I wash it again with vinegar and rinse
    4) wash again with baking soda mixed with water and rinse
    5) wash a final time with hydrogen peroxide and rinse, dry and then let air dry to remove any excess dampness

I know it sounds like a lot to go through.. but I have never had any funky residues left behind and never had a bacterial problem doing it this way

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. I use 2 thermometers and a humidistat. I try to keep the bator as close to 100 degrees as possible with the thermometer level with the top of the egg. The humidity I keep is about 25-28%, and day 18, jacked up to 65-70%. I do turn twice a day by hand. And while I do this once a day I move the outer eggs inward, and the inner eggs outward.

Shipped eggs are usually 50% hatch, sometimes more. Sometimes it depends on the type of chicken, the health of the egglayers. If you are at a high altitude, you may get less of a hatch due to atmospheric pressure. If you bleach your bators, make sure you rinse well and open air dry for 24 hours.

If all else fails, get a few silkies to hatch your eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by