1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Last stage of hatching death causes?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GBov, Jan 10, 2011.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Admitedly its a bit early to be so worried but out of two eggs to pip, one is out and the other got halfway un-zipped and seems to have gotten a bit dry and stuck to the egg shell. I broke it out of the egg to see if it was formed right and it looked a fine big strong chick.

Cant remember off the top of my head if late incubation deaths are low humidity or not? Its holding at 65% so its nice and high but not too high?

Any ideas?

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  3. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:Thanks for that, it doesnt seem to help much though as the turner went fine, temp stayed at 100.5 the entire time, humidity was 45 to 50% up till lock down and is now 71% as I put in a bit more water, it was 65% but thought it might be a tad low.

Granted the eggs came out of a VERY cold chicken house but the one that has hatched is well formed and strong and the other one looked the same only dead.

Fingers crossed for the rest as the silkie eggs (not pipping yet) are my daughters 4H project. The RRRs are mine and while I would like them to hatch, my heart wont be broken like a 6 year olds will be if we have a disaster hatch.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Sounds like to low of humidity at hatch time to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by