Last True Ameraucana Hen Sick

HidingInTheHenHouse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Indianapolis
Last year I purchased 4 true Ameraucana hens from a reputable breeder. They were shipped to me as pullets, not chicks. Since then, 3 have died and now, my 4th is sick. I have had many of my chickens die, so it may have nothing to do with these 4, but I haven't gotten any of the blue eggs I so wanted yet, and I don't know what is wrong with her. Right now, considering how much I paid for the original 4, this final surviving hen is worth over $100 to me. I just feel like crying
hit.gif
. Please help me figure this out, if you can.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Blue Ameraucana Hen, approx. 9 months old, approx. 3 lbs.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Sitting fluffed up, tail down, doesn't run when I approach, let's me pick her up, listing to left side, seems slightly off balance, head is down and eyes are closed (I think; hard to tell with her muff)

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No trauma that I can see, I examined her carefully.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Have no idea what could have happened. See was running around nomally this morning, then this afternoon, she is like this.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Not eating or drinking. Normally drinks water with 1 Tab ACV, and eats Layena pellets, free choice oyster shell, free ranges

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Very runny and clear like water with small streaks of yellow in it; no solid parts at all

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Brought her in and isolated her in a cage, gave her water with 3 Tab ACV and electrolyes, vitamins, which see hasn't drank; gave her scrambled eggs with yogurt, which she hasn't touched or shown any interest in; started treatment for Marek's (she was supposed to be vaccinated); gave penicillin IM

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I want to treat her completely myself. I will not take her to a vet.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I don't have a camera right now, but could get one possibly.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

She normally sleeps in the hen house with my other hens and one rooster. I use hard wood shavings for bedding, straw in the nest boxes. Run has layer of wood shavings, which is mostly decomposed at this time (we are getting ready to shovel out a replace).

I have medication to treat just about anything, but I don't know how many medicines you can put in the same water at the same time, and I don't want to overtax her system. She does not seem thin at all. I can feel her breastbone, but it is not at all prominent.

Any suggestions at all would be helpful. Thanks.

I do not know what is wrong with your last A, but if the other 3 died- and these are only 9mo old- there is something seriously unpleasant happening here. They may have been sold with a chronic illness, or acquired it at your place. Despite your lack of interest in a vet, I would seriously consider having this last bird (if it dies), promptly shipped to your state lab. You will get answers that may be very helpful for the rest of your flock- as well as what to tell the seller of these birds. She should have been laying by now if she is 9mo old, so she may have been slowly sickening for months. Young birds dying- usually infectious- (viral, bacterial or parasitic), though sometimes it can be dietary. If you have Marek's, this can be suspected by clinical signs- but diagnosis is on pathology- you need to send a bird in. Parasitic infections- diagnosis is detection in feces. You can treat at home by broadly deworming- but personally, I like to know for sure what I am dealing with- and invest in professional help when needed. Multiple deaths would prompt me to do that. Cost of necropsy is often only the cost of shipping the body.
Your food selection looks fine, but inspect feed and water stations carefully for mold contamination ect.

Quote:
oops, was still typing. Sorry she died. I would put her in a cooler, and start getting materials to send her in to a lab for testing. Call around to local vets who see poultry or livestock to get the number for your state lab and get your answers- long term this should be very helpful for the rest of your flock.

Sarah,

Sorry your chicken died.

I sold Sarah the started birds last September. She did contact me regarding them. These birds were vaccinated for mareks as chicks.

I did call Fort Dodge as mareks was a thought Sarah and I had come up with. I asked the FD vet about the vaccine that we all use as hobbyists and was told that it is not the best vaccine as it is a 50 year old variety and is not 100% effective. If you have a "hot" virus as she explained, it is useless.

The best vaccine is the rispens, but you have to have a liquid nitrogen tank to keep it. Which is out of range for most back yard hobbyists.

I would also recommend sending the bird in for necropsy since you stated you have lost alot of birds on your farm.

Let's get some test results in first and I will get you some eggs or chicks to get you started back up.

I hope to have my incubator running before the end of next week. And you should have necropsy results by then.

Back
Top Bottom