Last try

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlin, May 2, 2009.

1. marlin

marlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Grand Bay, Alabama
    Well I believe I am gonna give up on hatching of 14 BC Marans eggs I pulled out 6 on day 18 after candling either no development or poor development thats ok I could live with that. I really had a good feeling about the remaining eggs.On day 19 i heard chirpping comeing from a egg just knew I would have babies soon. This morning is day 22 havent heard anything since day 19 no pips nothing.In the past my hatches have always been early. Temps have been between 99.5 and 100 humidity 45% till day 18 then I raised to 65% little gaint forced air with a turner. Last year I had a 100% hatch with 8 BC marans eggs. But a varment wiped them out in one night. Maybe all hope is not lost gonna give it a couple more days. Any suggestions?

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I tried 46% humidity on day 1-18 on my first hatch, and it was dismal.
    I tried 38% humidity on day 1-18 on my second hatch, and I was successful - 13 chicks so far this morning, 10 of them are marans.

If you try again, that is my suggestion-- dry hatch method, 38% day 1-18 and don't add water until it is down to 21%.

Don't get discouraged. I certainly was after my first failed hatch, but you'll figure it out just like I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by