last two to identify

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Amastacia, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Amastacia

Amastacia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i have i think 2 chicks that are now almost 12 weeks old that i have yet to identify. the first one started out all white but as she grew she started to get some dark in her tail and some flecking on her neck. i'm pretty sure she has a normal comb. [​IMG][​IMG]

this one is smaller than the rest of them. she looked a lot like the brown leghorns when they were little but is much different now. she is hunched over a bit in the photo, trying to hide under a very tattered burdock.
    [​IMG]

any guesses? oh yeah, and they came from McMurray in the Rainbow layer assortment (one might also be their "free exotic chick". thanks.

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The white one looks like a Delaware. The other, I'd guess silver Leghorn except that you're saying she's smaller? Is she bantam sized?

3. Amastacia

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i don't think she's that small, though i have almost no experience with bantams. from looking at McMurray's site i was wondering about modern game, but even when she's not hunched over she doesn't seem that upright. is that possibly something that develops later?

and are Delaware chicks completely white when they hatch? i seem to remember from the photos on McMurray's site that they weren't, which is really what is confusing me.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 I think the other "leghorn" is getting her white in the earlobes as well

5. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I have 2 birds like your silver one from MMCM, and I think they are Silver Leghorns. They are about the same size as my hamburg and silver phoenix pullets, which puts them on the small, but not bantam side. They lay a bigger white egg than the others do though. Not huge, but surprisingly large for their size.

6. Amastacia

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i just realized i also have a red pullet that i don't know for sure what she is. i am thinking New Hampshire but i'm not sure. i have yet to notice any white in her color at all and there does seem to be a little bit of black in her tail and on the edges of her wings.

[​IMG]

the little one from above is also right behind the big red one, along with 2 white leghorns, a brown leghorn and an EE. and please forgive the state of the coop. one of my BR hens is molting and making it look like someone got eaten

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the big red one is probably a hatchery rode island red

8. Amastacia

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    how can you tell RIR and NHR apart?

9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    A New Hampshire (no red at the end) is more of an orange color, than dark red and tend to have black around the neck on the hens. Now when dealing with hatchery birds, it can be a toss up. But yours has a deeper red color to it, but I could be wrong.

10. Amastacia

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    yay for confusion. mcmurray's has it with the "red". oh well. RIR does sound more likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by