Last week i bought some adult americaunas...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rns-chickenraisers, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Rns-chickenraisers

Rns-chickenraisers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    I have noticed 2 or 3 of them have dry feet to the point of cracking and bleeding. Can i put neosporin on them?
    One of the girls is very lethargic, and has a very large distended but soft belly.
    I am unsure what to do. After some reading it sounds like peritenitis?
    Since these girls were living outside ( no coop) they quit laying when winter hit. We have a chicken mansion and heat lamps, so we were hoping to give them a great life,
    No evidence of mites, no runny noses etc
    Any ideas?

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I wonder if your chickens have scaly leg mites? See this link for pictures of what this looks like.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33903&p=1 A simple treatment for this is to cover the entire foot area with vaseline, which smothers and kills the mites. You can search on this site for more information about other ways of treating this, and for more pictures.

If it turns out that their legs are simply dry and cracked, yes, Neosporin is fine to use on them. No matter how you treat them, it would help to soak and clean their feet first, so you can better see how they look and so their feet are clean for applying the Neosporin. Bag balm is also good to use, and you can get this at Tractor Supply stores.

As for the one with the large distended belly, this sounds like egg-yolk peritonitis. This is a condition that sometimes develops in laying hens, for which there is no cure. Here is a thread with more information on that condition. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=432839

I hope this information helps [​IMG]

3. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    Will leg mites cause cracking and bleeding?
    Ill get some bag balm or vaseline today and smother them with it. Ill smother my other hens just in case....

4. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    Thanks for the info!

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  6. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    I dont know how to post pics...

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  8. Rns-chickenraisers

Sep 14, 2011
    Home
    Im mobile. I dont see directions to upload them via mobile. My laptop will not power up at the moment

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:oops - IDK then - I don't use mobile devices. Hopefully someone can give you directions [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by