Last weekend at the Crossroads Poultry show

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HollidaySmith, Oct 31, 2011.

1. HollidaySmith

HollidaySmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    We were delighted to find out that we had won a pair of Dominique chickens at the Crossroads Poultry show in Indianapolis. To say it was unexpected is an understatement. Friday my husband Rick and I drove to Indy. We weren't expecting to buy anything, just look. We already had 22 chickens at home (including a Maran/Polish mix rooster). Illinois APA/ABA Youth had a table right as we came in the front door and the were selling raffle tickets for 1 pair each of Java's, Dominiques, Leghorn as well as a few other things. We bought tickets and divided them up between the Java's and the Dominiques. We have been interested in the Java's because not only are they an excellent dual purpose bird, but they are still on the critical list. While no longer on the endangered list, we like the idea of helping preserve the 2nd oldest breed in the country.

While we were not planning on buying any birds, we managed to still come home with 2 Java hens and 2 Americauna hens. We talked about that being our limit on the way home. The next morning (saturday) my husband says that we really should have gotten a Java rooster as we really do want to help conserve them and should breed them. So back we go to Indy. He works graveyards, so we needed to get there early and get home so he could take a nap before work. We stopped and looked at the raffle birds. Well, our rooster turned into 1 Java rooster and 2 more java hens, 1 more Americauna hen and 2 Maran hens, one silver laced and one wheaton.

On the way home we admonished ourselves for having no self control and in passing I said, "Now watch us win the raffle!". We got home and got the birds settled in. My husband went off to bed and I hopped onto the computer. I had just posted on facebook about our new birds when the phone rang. Courtney the Illinois APA/ABA Youth Leader was on there telling me we had won the Dominiques.

Sunday we again headed back to Indy! Courtney was such a lovely person. She had noticed our new birds doing something cute and promptly taken a picture which she later emailed to me. This is the picture:
    [​IMG]

We now have 34 chickens!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    What a beautiful pair of chickens! Such a nice surprise for you, Congrats!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

WOW! So awesome!

[​IMG] I have no self control either, but no more chickens until spring. I promised my 13 chickens.. I don't want to stress anyone out during these cold winter months [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OMG, I am a skimmer, so I went back and read your whole post and realized that you came home with ALOT of chickens......LOL My husband and I went to the Ohio National last year with "no intentions of buying" and came home with 9 chickens! [​IMG]

We're going down this year too, and meeting a fellow and his daughter. We're picking up a Buckeye trio....I believe they're an endangered breed as well......I hope we don't end up with more....LOL

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh you will [​IMG]

And when you do, you must post pictures!

6. HollidaySmith

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    Quote:My husband I and were just talking about Buckeyes. It is a breed we hoped to add next year. Now it depends on if we can handle the large flock we have!. I am so glad i'm not the only chicken addict!

7. HollidaySmith

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    thanks for the congrats. Time to go collect eggs! Yippeee........

8. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG] Beautiful

[​IMG] chicken math [​IMG]

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Wow! You scored, congrats! That is a NICE pair, and I love the cute photo. Hopefully you can show these in the future!

10. HollidaySmith

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    Quote:Don't know if we will show. I am sure that we will breed. They are on the critical list along with the Java's and we want to help conserve these heritage breeds. :eek:) Thanks for the congrats. We feel very blessed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by