Last years eggs were a disaster, what can I do different?

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
First off, it's the last day of January shouldn't mating season have started yet?
Last year my 2 geese started laying eggs OUTSIDE of their Predator proof coop, and tried to sleep on the eggs at night which was a disaster. I would have to take them off the nests and force them into the coop. what can I do differently? Last year they started in the coop, but when I took any eggs (without disturbing the nest) they just moved right out. any ideas? thanks

I cant tell you how to fix there need to hide there nest but during breeding season I keep them close to it. I also let them witness me taking there eggs seems to help. Geese are instinctive about hiding eggs from predictors especialy ones they cant see. So I want them to know that it is me. I also give them a little handful of straw each time so they can hide them deeper. So far its working. what didnt work was letting them go to pasture.
If last year was there first year thous usually dont go well. My first year girls are already laying have been since the first of the year. My 2 year olds are waiting hopefully most of them for a few more weeks. I did get one from one of them yesterday. So far all duds or just got to cold. Eggs to small, To cold even with a pond for the boys to get the job done even though they attempt. The weather has allot to do with it. Young birds are still tweaking there systems.
Mating season seems to come with the first girl demanding to be breed. But fertile season is when all conditions are good. Im so happy my older girls are holding back....
I guess what Im saying the longer they take to get started the more successful you hatching year,

Back
Top Bottom