Lasting effects from mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vivadevo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. vivadevo

vivadevo New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Just wondering how long it takes an infested hen to "bounce back" from a mite infestation -- sprayed/dusted the coop and dusted both hens; then did a dose of Eprinex pour-on 8 days later. No more mites, it seems, but the hen that bore the brunt of the infestation seems just a little thinner than usual and isn't as excited about food (though she will eat) than her coop-mate. Comb, eyes, and general energy level all seem fine. Poop looks OK, I think, as far as the poop chart goes.

It's been 10 days since the initial dusting, and neither hen has layed in perhaps 2 weeks (which is what tipped me off to the mites).

Does it take them a little while to recover, or should I think something's wrong? I lost a hen to what turned out to be cocci just a few months ago and am trying not to miss the "sick chicken" signs again!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It depends how much blood was lost. I recommend adding poultry nutri drench, scrambled egg mixed in feed with warm water to make a mash and feed it to them for about 5 days. Use only about 5 drops of the nutri drench in the mixture...too much can cause diarrhea. It'll take time to fully recover.

3. vivadevo

vivadevo New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    I'll try that -- thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by