Latch's for coop doors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bills, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    My coop is almost complete, Yipee!

I am now a the point where I have to install the small door for the birds to go in and out of the coop. I'm thinking that a hinged door that will also act as a small ladder may be the simplest.

I have heard more than once that racoons, (which we have plenty of in this area) are very good a manipulating latches, and have concerns as to what kind I should install, that will be raccon proof. I doubt that they could climb up to the main, large door latch, so I thought a normal padlock hasp type will work with a hitch pin slipped through it, but again I don't know if this would beat them. As for the small chicken door? Would a slip bolt type be to simple for a coon to open? Would a padlock hasp with a hitch pin work.

Anybody have experiences with coons and them managing to beat your latching systems? What do members suggest using??

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Very good question. After getting some good response from people here this is what I decided to do. (We have had coon prints on the side of my hen house trying to get to the window and none have gotten inside yet.)

I too used the door of the pop hole as a ramp. So, at night, I close up the ramp and use a clasp (like what's on the end of a dog leash) to lock them. Even though a raccoon can use it's 'fingers' and possibly open it, I made sure that mine is far enough up off the ground (3 ft.) that they can't reach it. They would have to have something to stand on to get to it and I don't have anything in there for them to use, that they could move.

I know that some people use padlocks on their doors and hang the keys up higher.

3. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I use a little combination-syle lock on my run door and egg box. I never underestimate the dexterity of raccoons. You'd be amazed what they can figure out!

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    [​IMG]

I use a spring loaded tent peg, if the coon can pull this pin out 1 1/2 inches and open the door they deserve a chicken dinner

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We use padlocks on all of our coop/run doors to keep the coons and our landlady's thievin' grandsons, honest. [​IMG]

I keep the keys to the locks on two seperate keychains. Keys are marked with colored bands and Sharpied initials, as to which door lock they are for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dawn

edited to add another pic

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Reread and saw the thieven grrandson comment, I was gonna ask what typ0e of coon you have that knows how to open locks and such. Sorry you have the extra problems, SSS doesnt work with that type of preditor. [​IMG]

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Padlocks on all my doors and pens too (and I only have theiving raccoons). I used to use carabiners, but figured the padlocks would be better. I hang the keys next to the locks. If a raccoon can manipulate a key into a lock, I have a BIG problem !

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    md,

SSS may not work on "them" type of varmits but my mention of being the M-60 gunner for the meteorological section when I was in the Army may have helped some. [​IMG]

I may not have access to that anymore but am well protected with a Glock and a Derringer now. [​IMG]

I've always wanted one of those yard signs that reads..."Nevermind the Dog...Beware of the Owner!!!"[​IMG]

Dawn

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Get the protected by Smith and Wesson, it has the same effect, except anymore that means "they" wait for you to leave then break in to steal your guns. [​IMG]

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's why you have big dogs in your yard. Then they can't break in to get the guns!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by