Late Bloomer? Something to Worry About?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
So little Lily, my SLW is now a week old and is not as big as the other 7. She looks to be the same size as when i got her at 3 days old...but with feather growth on her wings and tail. As far as I've seen she eats fine, drinks fine, poops fine, no pasty butt, and is a little peeper! She's the noisiest of the group and also the least happy to be picked up. Do I need to worry about her smaller size? I don't know what the normal growing curve is for chicks and if she could just be a smaller chick in general. But is there anything I can do to help her along? I'm going to try some chick treats this week that are low-fiber...is there anything in particular I can give her to beef her up a bit more?

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

You might try a little poly-vi-sol infant vitamins without iron. You can find it at Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, etc. It is important that it not have iron in it. A couple of drops dribbled one at a time along her beak so she can take them in slowly might help. You can repeat in a day or so. It could be that she is just fine, or it could be she was bumped away from the feed as she was slightly smaller to begin with. I had that happen with one of mine and the vitamins helped her regain her vigor. Good luck with your bird.

It seems quite common to have one chick who is so much smaller than the others and yet seems to be eating, drinking etc.

Sometimes these chicks stay small whatever you do, other times they suddenly take on a growth spurt an end up by being bigger than everyone else.

If she seems otherwise healthy I would not worry too much,

Sandie

One of my barred rocks was like that. Nellie was always the smallest (still is) of the 8 girls but boy is she talkative! She has no problem getting food or stealing it from everyone else when I bring treats. She is just a smaller bird than her sisters. At 15 weeks, she holds her own with the others and is looked after by my lead hen Trouble. I think that like all animals, some are big and some are small. As long as your chick is eating normally and not being picked on, she will be okay. Your Lily may turn out like my Nellie--a conversationalist who can hold her own!!!

I am having a similar issue.

One chick is smaller than the rest, it eats fine, drinks fine, walks around some. But it does spend a lot of time sleeping, it isn't as "spunky" as the others. I have notice there are a few that will literally walk right over the small chick or push it out of the way. Should I be worried? Should I separate him/her?

Last edited:
I also have a few that sneeze every once in awhile...will the poly-vi-sol help them as well? or should I go pick up some electrolyte/vitamin mixture from the feed store?

I have one chick that is smaller than the others but she is my most adventurous. She also uses her small size to advantage by sliding in under and between her sisters to eat She seems healthy enough but I think I'll try the vitamins too.
D.gif

Well I've added drops of poly-vi-sol to the water and given little Lily some by hand. She seems less lethargic and is eating/drinking well. It looks like both of the Wyandottes are on the smaller side, so I'm not so worried now that she's the same size as her "sister". Still have a sneeze every once in awhile from various chicks. Hopefully it's the change in bedding and the vitamins will help everyone out with it. Fingers crossed!

You can try giving them some scrambled eggs too for an extra boost. It's a very healthy high-protien treat (ok, it can be a little creepy feeding eggs to chickens) that most chooks LOVE. It's my go-to food for birds that look a little off and broody hens that start to look run down and need a little extra to get back in shape. I've had slow growers too and most of the time they catch up with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom