Late bloomer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickgal, Jun 11, 2011.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    I have two hens, for laying. One started laying 5 days ago (one a day) the other hasn't started yet. They were both gotten at the same time (day olds on Jan. 13th. Is this normal behavior that one could be slower than another and she will start laying soon? This is my first time as a chicken owner.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yes, this is normal and the one who recently started laying my lay for a few days then nothing for a couple of days or so. I have had birds from the same hatch start laying as early as 16 weeks and others 24 plus weeks.

3. newchickgal

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Thanks cmom, I guess she'll come around sooner or later. I'm hoping that she'll get the idea soon and that all is ok (health wise) with her. She acts normal (ie healthy) is all other aspects so I won't be a worryin'.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Patience!! Good grief, expecting them both to hit puberty within days of each other is high expectations indeed. I've had hatch-mates that were over a month apart on the egg-laying. Enjoy them...

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:That's nothing. I've had hatch-mates that were almost 4 months apart in laying. I was beginning to wonder if I had a rooster in disguise. [​IMG]

6. newchickgal

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Quote:Sorry if I came across as being impatient, I didn't mean to sound like that. I was only asking since this is my first time at chickens. So please bear with me if I ask 'stupid' questions. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry if I came across as being impatient, I didn't mean to sound like that. I was only asking since this is my first time at chickens. So please bear with me if I ask 'stupid' questions. [​IMG]

That's fine. [​IMG] Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's how we learn.

Each chicken is an individual, so they will start laying when their bodies are ready and not a minute before.

8. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Geez, overreact much? OP is a new chicken owner and is allowed to ask questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by