1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Late Bloomers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flinthillbillie, Apr 27, 2007.

1. flinthillbillie

flinthillbillie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Flint Hill, VA
    Hi,
    I have a mixed batch of 24 chicks. They'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow (happy birthday, girls!)and, except for the four Barred Rocks, all have complete wing feathering, most of their breast feathers, and a few are starting to look pin-headed. The Barred Rocks, however, have little stubby wing feathers and are still fluffy everywhere else. They are sturdy, healthy and active, eating, drinking and pooping with the best of them. Is it normal for this breed to develop so much more slowly than the others?

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    All breeds develope and feather out on their own time table. I have noticed that dual purpose chickens seem to feather out the fastest, then the good layers (like barred rocks). As long as everything else with them is fine, they are just taking their time "getting dressed" like all kids will do! [​IMG]

3. flinthillbillie

flinthillbillie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Flint Hill, VA
    Thanks, 4H. I thought that might be the case, but it helps to hear it confirmed by someone with more experience in the baby chick department.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by