1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Late Blooming Rooster, Or Crowing Hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Louieandthecrew, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Hello,

A lot of you know from my thread "Limping Hen" that I have a beautiful Barred Rock hen that had been limping. (Thankfully, she stopped [​IMG]). Anyways, we thought that the reason was because there are two hens (including her) with my five roosters, but we never really found out what the problem was. To teh point now:
    The good news is that she is doing better AND one of my little roosters started crowing recently!
    But, to the bad news. Not only did that little rooter start crowing, she did too! [​IMG] What should I do? I am already going to take three of my roosters (for sure) to the little auction place that's about three minutes from my home, and I'm planning on auctioning them out there (by the way, what is a good price for a large meat-btd cross, a little bantam Black Cochin/White Japanese, and a Red Sex Link/Red Cochin cross?). So that would leave me with my Red Cochin, that I am keeping for showing purposes, my Welsummer rooster, for breeding purposes, my Red Sex Link hen, for breeding and eggs, and then my Barred Rock rooster. So, that would give me three roosters, one hen, and soon 15 Buff Orpington chicks (all pullets) that won't be in the coop with them until this fall. So, any advice that you could give? I am working on downloading some pictures from my camera that I took at the chicken coop today so I'll soon be able to show some new pictures of her *clears throat* HIM, and also if you know anything about selling three of my roosters, I can show you some pictures of them to see if you could tell me what they are worth [​IMG] Thanks for reading!

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
    Louieandthecrew

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    You could try:

-Getting a 'bachelor' pen to separate all or most of your roos if you see pecking.
    -Getting rid of a couple, or all of your roos to prevent pecking, aggression, and incessant crowing. Tough decision, but it'll help.

I'd just watch and see how it all goes, before taking action.

And as for pricing, the hybrids should be given a price of around $10.00.

3. Louieandthecrew

Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

4. Louieandthecrew

Okay, I'm back and I have pictures of my crowing hen/average rooster [​IMG] Here she/he is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Rooster or crwoing hen?

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Rooster without a doubt.

6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Rooster!

7. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground