Late Christmas Present!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbjay417, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Despite the massive size of my rooster, he just started crowing about 10 days ago. Today, as I was preparing their breakfast, I saw my roo do his thing for what i believe is the first time. Then he grabbed another hen a while later, and hes been chasing the others all morning!! He's an animal! The unfortunate part is that the hen he "stepped on" is one of the most skiddish and flighty I've got. However that will not dampen my spirits.

My question. None of my ladies have produced any eggs yet fertile or otherwise. Will this mating kick off egg production or will I have to wait for my ladies to catch up with the roo?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure but, I noticed my roo mating with the girls just days before they started laying. These are my first ones so I don't know if it was coincidence or if it works that way. I'm sure someone with more experience will stop by. [​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Congats on your guy growing up! I remember my Val's first time, yeah they're pretty enthusiastic whether or not the hen is interested. [​IMG]

For your question, mating doesn't have any effect on when a pullet lays her first egg. BUT if the pullets are submitting to the rooster, you know the squat? It means they are close to being ready to lay.

I know how hard it is to wait but they really have their own schedule. It'll happen when they're good and ready. It is sooo exciting when you get that first egg! You'll forget about all the time spent waiting [​IMG]

4. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    thanks for the answers. The roosters calmed down a bit since yesterday, but hes still droppin his wings and dancin around after the pullets. Its a thing of beauty, cause the tips of his wings and tail feathers are all white and the rest of him is golden brown. he looks so much like a turkey its hilarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by