Late day 17/Early 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HereChickChickChick88, Jan 15, 2018.

1. HereChickChickChick88

HereChickChickChick88 Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    So I have 6 RIR eggs in a small table top, relatively cheap incubator (I have to turn and monitor humidity/temp myself - no biggie), but since I put them in after lunch to begin their incubation, today after lunch would have been the start of day 18 - Lockdown. So, this morning when I woke up around 7 I decided to get a head start on regulating the increase in humidity and get the eggs one last turn for the beginning of lockdown. In those 6 eggs were 2 smaller, oddly shaped eggs (tiny ovals) and when I turned one of those I noticed it had already started a pip - just a little line, not a huge breakthrough, but an attempt none the less. My question is - have I disrupted the Lockdown? I felt as though I was getting a head start on it, but I have noticed that bantams (I'm guessing this egg is from some sort of RIR bantam or bantam mix) hatch early. Should I turn the "pip" side back down - does it matter that it's now facing up? Or am I overthinking it and leave it alone and the chick will find it's way out? Basically the pip was down and when I turned it is when I noticed it b/c it's facing up now. When all 6 eggs were good to go after candling saturday morning I was pumped - but now the pressure is on to get them all out ok!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Following. :)

HereChickChickChick88 likes this.
  3. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    The pip will be fine, up or down, just continue lockdown as normal....turn up the humidity, stop turning, sit on your hands and enjoy your hatch!!!!

4. HereChickChickChick88

HereChickChickChick88 Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: