Late developers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jurrasiccluck, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jurrasiccluck

jurrasiccluck Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    I need help its day 20 of incubation and in not seeing any movement in my incubator so I checked and one just got to the right stage of development while the other is still developing a little should I keep it in lockdown or start turning again?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Stay in lockdown. What had your temperatures been like throughout incubation and what kind of incubator are you using?

3. irfxr

irfxr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Bakersfield, California
    I had 2 out of 20 that never made it hatch between 21 and 22 days. I had given up on the whole batch and heard noise in the hatcher ...

4. TheHeresAmber

TheHeresAmber New Egg

Jan 16, 2017
    Don't give up just yet. I had nothing until late into day 23. Now it's day 24 and I have a baby that hatched this morning and another on the way

5. jurrasiccluck

Jan 18, 2017
    Well my incubator is the chick bator and it works but very hard to keep a constant temp and we've had 2 power outages in a row on cold days and today when the thermometer fell the metal grate fell too didn't crack anything but I'm afraid the chick will be to weak to hatch

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm not familiar with that type, is it still air or forced? And do you know what the exact temps have been? I'm trying to determine if they could have been low thus causing a late hatch. Power outages on cold days that allowed the temp to fall could quite possibly cause a late hatch too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  7. jurrasiccluck

Jan 18, 2017
    Still and one hatched last niget and I was wanting to ask how much will one sleep a day after hatch

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They sleep a lot right after they hatch - they just exerted a lot of energy :)

Okay, so you have a still air. Your temps then should have been 101.5 degrees measured at the top of the egg. Is this what you had or was your temperature low?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you put all the eggs into the incubator on the same day?

10. jurrasiccluck

Jan 18, 2017
    I tried to keep it there but its all manual and when I'm somewhere else it changes and I did set the eggs at the same time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by