Late Developing Rooster or Head Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Skitdora2010, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Skitdora2010

Skitdora2010 New Egg

Nov 7, 2010
    I hatched 5 EE's from Ebay and was hoping to have as few roosters as possible. These chicks were born July 22. Watching the feathers to tell the sexing, the two I thought were boys started crowing in late September. They grew tail feathers 2 weeks later than the others and had different feathers on the wings. Over the course of October a chicken I thought to be head hen started developing rooster looks, but has yet to crow. When she was a baby she did pull out all of the dominate roosters tail feathers and did chase the yellow rooster and jump on it's back. She/he is also the friendliest and whistles at me and will jump onto my shoulder. I'm still hoping for her to be a hen. She was identical to her sister when she was born and only changed this past month, further making me think she is a boy. However, the head rooster likes her and not the other known EE male. I have never seen her fight with anybody since the rooster feather pulling as a chick. Also, when I am greeted and followed it is usually by the known roosters and her. She prefers to sleep on the floor with a cluster of silkies instead of with all the other EE's. I tried getting her used to the perch but I just gave up after several days.

She was my first of this hatch and looked identical to her sister, I named her Thing 1 and her sister Thing 2. They both came from the same color greenish khaki eggs.
    [​IMG]
    Here is her face, she does have a red comb where the hens do not, but not as developed as the other Roosters. She is sitting in front of her dull feathered sister and behind a black silkie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any input. I plan on keeping her regardless, but if she is a he I will have to buy many hatched hens to improve my gender ratio. If she is male, my home hatching of EE's eggs ended up being 60% male. I'm zoned farming, so crowing is not a problem and neither is shortage of land to free range on. I just wanted more hens to lay colored eggs than just 2 of them.

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!
    Gee, I think you have a boy [​IMG]
    Yes, a very pretty Easter Egger boy there! He has blue coloring, and I really like that.

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, that's a very handsome boy!
    See the longer tail feathers? How they curve over the other feathers and then down? That screams boy!
    Plus he's getting boy saddle feathers.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    100% boy....very nice looking bird!

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Cock-a-doodle-do...................definitely

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "She" is a cockerel.

7. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    rooster

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    boy with very interesting colouring ...I had a 2/8 pullet to roo hatch ratio on my last hatch skitdora [​IMG]
    and was also hoping for some more pretty green egg layers too. However we do have a few nice chicken dinners waiting in the freezer now thanks to the boys.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I could tell you that's a boy even if I didn't see the reddened comb or boyish feathering. The color is a dead giveaway. [​IMG]

10. Skitdora2010

Skitdora2010 New Egg

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, he was sadly a boy. He started crowing 4 months after the other boys, and has yet to chase the ladies. I have to say that he is the most like a gentleman because he will walk around or gingerly step over the silkies where the other Easter Eggers plow over them and trip on the silkies if the silkies don't move. He will also jump on my shoulders still and preen my hair and eat my dandruff, so no stew pot for him when the temperature is so dry so often. Thank you everyone for your correct input. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by