Late egg advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joshuats99, Dec 23, 2016.

1. joshuats99

joshuats99 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Hello everybody,

I've got 15 button quail eggs in the incubator and tonight at about 11pm central time, it'll have been 18 days. They had a rough incubation for the first week or so(with some fluctuations up to 104 and down to 93) so I wasn't expecting a great hatch rate. On day 12 I candled any that were light enough to candle(only 3 eggs) and cracked a fourth that I suspected wouldn't make it as I'd dropped it on the carpet while loading the incubator. All four appeared to be right where they should be as far as development goes so I went ahead and proceeded with lockdown the next day. I had some pretty vigorous rocking on day 15 but haven't heard any peeping and certainly no pipping. This morning(day 17) I candled the three that I can and they haven't pipped internally but they appear to be fully developed with the whole area outside of the air cell being dark. How long should I wait before calling it quits? Should I poke a hole in the air cell side of an egg so I can try to see if there's any movement I can't feel? Sorry for the novel and thanks for any replies!

2. joshuats99

joshuats99 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Update: I tried a float test. Once I got four eggs in and all were definitely alive, I feel much more relieved.

3. joshuats99

joshuats99 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Update #2: First peeper pipped. This was also the first one I noticed rocking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by