Late eggs under broody

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by silkieluv23, Feb 19, 2014.

1. silkieluv23

silkieluv23 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2013
    I have 3 eggs under a broody hen, they are on day 24 and I haven't heard a sound yet. I candled the eggs and they seem well developed: solid black with an air bubble at the top.
    Has anyone had this problem before??[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] welcome to BYC just talked to someone 2 days ago , same thing. their eggs hatched on day 24 and that was in a bator under neer perfect conditions.

3. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I would say to keep an eye on it today as it may be the day it hatches. Hens sometimes have a sense on whether or not the egg is bad. I had a broody hen that sat on 8 eggs and hatched 7. The other one she had pushed out of the nest box. I read somewhere that they may be able to tell if something is wrong before it hatches and will get rid of it. Either way congrats on the new chicks.

4. silkieluv23

Dec 20, 2013
    The hen seems quite determined to keep sitting. Day 25, still no noise![​IMG]

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    did you candle again to see if there was any movement?

6. silkieluv23

Dec 20, 2013
    Yes I candled all three again and I noticed something weird, I turned one of the eggs slightly and the air bubble moved as well when I candled the other 2 eggs this didn't happen. Does that mean that that egg is bad but the other 2 are good?
    Day 26
    [​IMG] I am thinking of taking these eggs away and giving her fresh ones, will she stick with it or just give up?

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    these are regular sized chicken eggs right? the one with liquid moving is no good, be careful getting rid of it. you might want to throw it far, far away. lol i dont think they will hatch i am sorry and that is too long for a broody to sit without a break. what is she?

8. silkieluv23

Dec 20, 2013
    She is a silkie cross sitting on japanese bantam cross eggs. BUT that doesn't matter anymore BECAUSE ONE OF THE EGGS IS HATCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]It pipped this morning and I helped him get his beak out to breathe.
    Still no noise from the other eggs but I will candle them again this evening. Day 27

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    that is nuts!!!! never have i heard of them going this long without human err to the dates. that is awesome !!!! gotta love them silkies. congrats.

10. silkieluv23

Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks, I can't wait to see how this chick turns out![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by