1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LATE EGGS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    ALL of my eggs start growing late, I dont understand. They sit on the counter to get to room temp. and then go in the bator. Am I doing something wrong. Yesterday was day 21 for my eggs and nothing. And on day eighteen when I candled it was small. By day 21 the egg was half full. WHAT IS GOING ON ????Any help would be great.... Thanks, -Jay

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Late hatches are only caused by low temperatures. No hatches can have a multitude of causes.

You need to check your thermometers.

If this lot don't hatch by day 24, please open a few and tell us what you find. That will prolly be the quickest way to accurately help you.

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    The temp has only dropped to 98.9F and up to 100F. Humidity has been a steady 50% and then up at day eighteen to 65-75%. So I dont see how it could be temp or humidity.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It can ONLY be temp, for a late hatch.

Check your thermometers [​IMG]

Humidity issues do not cause early or late hatching. They may be significant in poor hatch rates though.

A day late suggests about a 1F low temp. That could easily be down to an uncalibrated thermometer.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Even a half of a degree in temp can cause a days delay in hatching, so if you have been down to 98.9 that could mean 4 days late in hatching.

6. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i had same problem, my next hatch i started i double checked it with another themometor, it was 10 degrees off cooler! !!!!! couldnt believe it. maybe check yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by