1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Late feathering roo (7wks old)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkerChickens, May 9, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have a little Buckeye roo who is very delayed in feathering. He is normal size, eats/drinks fine, normal poops, active (and bossy!). I don't think anything is wrong with him other than he is just a very late bloomer (he started feathering slower from the start). His upper wing portion is still unfeathered and his back is completely featherless. But, his head is feathering and he has tail feathers. My attitude has been that he'll catch up (especially since he is growing well).

Herein lies the problem. We are now putting our chicks outside. After a few days in their new coop, they'll have access to outside during the day. I am concerned he'll get sunburned. Aside from bringing him in for a few more weeks (which we'll do if necessary), is there anything I can do to encourage feathering and prevent a sunburned Buckeye?

2. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Anyone? Should I have posted this under a different subject heading?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Please? Am I just worrying too much about Runt (his name...he was the smallest of 49 chicks initially, but has caught up for the most part). Our 3 wk old Welsummer chicks have more feathers than he does. [​IMG]

4. CritterBazaar

CritterBazaar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    He will come into his feathers given time. Roos actually are slower feathering across the shoulders and back. Especially runts. I have a couple now like that. Best thing is to keep him out of the sun for a couple more months or until he becomes fully feathered which he should by 12 weeks. I actually have a turken roo living in my office now for the exact same reasons. He was the runt, got trampled and brought inside. Now he is a big pet who roosts on a parrot stand...

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  6. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Thanks so much! Poor guy just never had a chance did he...he's a runt and a roo! [​IMG] They are locked in the coop now (has windows/ventilation, but no access outside). Do you think he'd be with 4 wk old Welsummer pullets or is he too big for them? They are still in the house and we were thinking that maybe he can stay with them until he feathers out more.

Quote:For Runt, it won't work. He has bald shoulders on his wings, so he'd still get sunburned. However, you helped up us a lot without even knowing it! We have a hen who has been fighting a bald spot on her back (other hens pick out pin feathers). We've been keeping her separated to regrow her feathers. I'm going to search this house for fabric and make her a saddle! Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by