Late Hatch and I mean late

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BamaChicken, Jan 20, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I had eggs in the bator that day 21 was Tues. I had eggs under a broody to come off same day. No hatch. Thurs Morn I had a blue Orp hatch under her so I took three more eggs in the house and candled. Two nothing and one a chick still kicking. I have checked on these eggs twice a day cause it is so cold here right now a chick wouldn't last long if Mommie gets off nest. Well this morning another chick. A buff silkie. I guess the cold outside delayed development. I need to go get the rest of them today and candle to see if I need to toss. You can't count your chicks before they hatch but don't throw them out to quick either.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow!!! Congrats on the hatch! [​IMG]

3. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    mine got delayed a week once

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    In my last batch, I thought none were alive. My daughter and I started opening them to determin what went wrong and I accidently killed a chick, the only one alive. I felt so bad and they were on the 24th day. I think I will give them at least a week next time [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always tell everyone do not throw til day 25...never know ...I've had hatches on day 25....

6. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    25 days, I'm going nuts here and it's just day 19. 6 more days would definately push me over the edge. I have been checking every couple hours, just waiting for that first sign of anything. Of course these kind of posts give me a little hope.[​IMG]

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You aren't.....counting.....or anything, are you? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    For most folks a period means the end of a sentence, especially when there is a space between the numbers. Try to read it that way. (But yes I am counting, and still loosing my mind, 2 days out of the turner and nothing). I will try and be more careful with my use of periods/decimal point and numbers around the hatchaholics to avoid confusion from now on. Lesson learned.
    By the way 53 hours since they came out of the turner. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by