Late hatch failure

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bush84, May 6, 2017.

1. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Hello all. I have been hatching eggs for about a year. This is my fourth batch. So I've done it but I wouldn't say I am well seasoned by any means. My prior hatches have all gone very well, especially considering my first were shipped eggs. I have a brinsea octo eco 20. Temp and humidity are all monitored my a second digital thermometer and they have been properly calibrated. At shutdown my humidity never has issues staying up and vents are wide open. Temp regulation seems to generally be spot on. I also minimize opening the incubator at hatch. When I do I generally use a syringe and iv tubing to squirt water into the unit and the humidity pops right up.

So now that my background is done, my last batch had 17 of 24 hatch. I guess I wouldn't normally stress about that number except 6 out of those 7 were essentially fully developed. One had made an external pip. The others don't even appear to have pipped internally. Some yolk still left upon autopsy. I'm not sure what went wrong. Like I said I would probably brush off those sever except for the fact that they were developed. If I messed something up I'd like to correct it. Ideas? Or is just something that happens?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Hard to say. [​IMG] It does happen. You mentioned it is your fourth batch. Do you sterilize everything after each hatch? Could be bacterial contamination..... What humidity are you incubating at for first 18 days? I go a little extreme when I incubate. I mark my air cell growth with pencil at each candling and I also weigh the eggs at each candling period to double check they are loosing as close to exact amount of weight as possible so I can make adjustments. I have found I have better hatch rates at lower humidity. I like 35% for the first 18 days, but that is what works for my area. Sometimes I feel it's a little bit of art, a little science and a lot of luck......
    I chart everything and monitor daily but a friend of mine literally forgets all about his eggs. No candling, no idea what humidity is and even forgets to turn and he has pretty good hatch rates. I find that so frustrating.[​IMG]
    edited to add: you mentioned some had not pipped internally. Where the beaks pointed towards air cell?

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    I typically keep the humidity ~40%. I'll be honest I don't weigh or candle eggs religiously. I generally mark the air cell at time of incubation and candle a few as we go. As long as their air cells look about right I call it good. Since I'm incubating my own eggs I don't get quite as precise about all of this as opposed to when I spent a ton of money on cream legbar eggs. Then it was by the book when I did my autopsy I don't believe I saw any beaks. I believe it was mostly backs. I'll also be honest that I wasn't watching for that, but I just did it a few hours ago. So I don't believe I'm wrong on this. So if my memory serves they died before lockdown if they were faced the wrong way, hadn't piped, and still had yolk left.

Edit- I do wash my incubator between uses. Typically use one of those Clorox wipes after washing.

Last edited: May 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by