Late Hatch of incubated Brahmas

dougieee

Songster
May 7, 2019
England, Midlands
So my brahma eggs are on day 21 in the incubator, my only concern is that after a quick candling they seem to be developing a little slowly, some of the eggs still seem to have space in them which by now in my experience is always completely gone, im seeing movement so im not massively worried.... but.......
Do Brahmas take a little longer because they are a larger breed OR
I have noticed temp descrepencies between the digital reader built in to the cosmo evo and the manual thermometer i have in the incubator, not a great deal but because they are late im leaning towards a faulty digital read which is showing 100.8 f and the manual which is showing 98.9 ish.
What would the low threshold temperature need to be to cause a late hatch and slower development?
Ive increased it to a happy medium between the two but im certainly buying a new thermometer and recalibrating the incubator for the next hatch as i just cant be dealing with this stress :he

I just hatched some Light Brahmas from very large breed genetics and they hatched on day 21. As a matter of fact, they hatched before some of the Silkies I was incubating with them.
4-28-19 (11).JPG
It sounds to me like your secondary thermometer is more accurate than the digital readout on your incubator which is causing the late development. Are you using a still air incubator or forced air?

Forced air.
Ive done a quick candle in the last hour and there is definitely progress in terms of growth, im hazarding a guess that i may be waiting till day 23.
At what point should i be concerned if there are no signs of pipping?

Forced air.
Ive done a quick candle in the last hour and there is definitely progress in terms of growth, im hazarding a guess that i may be waiting till day 23.
At what point should i be concerned if there are no signs of pipping?

Ok, I was just checking because still air should be set higher but you should be perfect with 99.5F on a forced air incubator.
I've heard of chicks hatching successfully as late as day 25! My friend recently dealt with this in her Hovabator and her chicks hatched on day 24. They may seem slightly developmentally delayed but don't worry. I have been raising one of her tiny olive eggers here at my house and she caught up after a few weeks. This is her now! A little over 2 months old.

5-11-19 (28).JPG

Im a bit annoyed that i didnt buy a new thermometer and recalibrate the incubator temperature before i started but on the last hatch i had nearly 90% hatch rate, discounting the 4 yolkers and figured if it aint broke dont fix it. Still, it seems its too early to unduly worry.

as he types that one of them starts pipping....... Opposite end to the air sack just for fun :he (this bangs head on wall emoje is VERY helpful)

Well, that's a great sign that you should start seeing more pips as well! With a 90% hatch rate previously, I probably wouldn't have second guessed it either.
I've had a chick pip on the wrong end and she hatched without issue. I have my fingers crossed for you that the rest goes smoothly! I wouldn't open the incubator again now that you see a pip to keep the humidity stable. :fl Fingers crossed that all goes well!

Just a quick update.
After a hectic four days i have 12 out of the 16 incubated happily running around in the brooder.
I unfortunately lost 3 who died after pipping (always the worst as they are so close) and one still in the bator with a slightly protruding yolk sack, hopefully will survive.
They hatched over the space of 4 days, the only thing i did do was slightly enlarge the pip holes to make sure they didnt seal back over and suffocate the chicks as im nearly certain thats what happened to the three i lost.
Im also certain the temp was a little low as 5 hatched on day 25????? Ive never had any hatch that late.

Just a quick update.
After a hectic four days i have 12 out of the 16 incubated happily running around in the brooder.
I unfortunately lost 3 who died after pipping (always the worst as they are so close) and one still in the bator with a slightly protruding yolk sack, hopefully will survive.
They hatched over the space of 4 days, the only thing i did do was slightly enlarge the pip holes to make sure they didnt seal back over and suffocate the chicks as im nearly certain thats what happened to the three i lost.
Im also certain the temp was a little low as 5 hatched on day 25????? Ive never had any hatch that late.

That definitely sounds like low temps to me too but I'm glad so many successfully hatched!

Well its confirmed, i bought a new thermometer put that and the old one in the incubator and the digital probe is nearly 2.5f out which means i was incubating at about 94f maybe even slightly lower.
:mad: Should have recalibrated at the start....... still you live and learn. Luckily i went with my suspicion and increased it for the final week and at least had an ok hatch rate

Back
Top Bottom