Late Hatch - What's going on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eggscalibur, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Eggscalibur

Eggscalibur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    This is my first attempt at incubating eggs, and I currently have 11 in the incubator. I am at the end of day 22, with no sign of pips. I do, however, see the eggs periodically rocking back and forth, as if there is movement inside. Development looked good during candling up to day 18. Temp has more or less held steady between 99-100, with humidity around 75% after Day 18 (humidity has been a bit of a struggle). What should I do? Is there still hope for a healthy hatch? If so, how long should I hold out?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:If they're rocking in there, I wouldn't give up hope. Could you be a day off on your count? Rocking is a good sign that they're alive and trying to get to the business of cracking through the membrane and shell. I would wait until there is no activity to throw in the towel. My suspicion is that the count is off a little given that NONE of the 11 have hatched yet. My money is on pips by morning. [​IMG]

Keep us posted!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. Eggscalibur

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks. Count is definitely right - I wrote it on the calendar and have counted and recounted. But hey, if the chicks say I'm wrong, I'm okay with that. I just hope I don't go cross-eyed staring through the little window waiting for something to happen!

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If they're rocking you're still in good shape. What kind of thermometer are you using? Sometimes they can be off by half a degree or more. If you were running the incubator a smidge low on temps, they babies will be fine but they'll hatch late. Good luck--I wouldn't worry yet!

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Let em ride till day 27....

6. Eggscalibur

Dec 19, 2009
    Quote:It's a digital model that monitors temp and humidity. I checked it against the conventional therm that came with the incubator and they were about 1 deg apart, but I couldn't say which one was correct. Eggs are still moving - maybe more than before - so I'm probably just a nervous new mama.

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Did you count the day you put them into the incubator as a full day? Mostly I don't think the days start counting until the following day.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I really think you're going to be okay on this hatch. The digital thermometers are not necessarily any more reliable than the old-fashioned sort. I use a milk thermometer that is guaranteed accurate within 0.1 degree F. It was $18 from Hoegger's goat supply. I've also found the Acu-Rite thermometers at Walmart for less than $10 to be pretty reliable, but you are at the mercy of battery power--when they run low you may not know it but it will make the thermometer inaccurate.

But no worries--your babies have gotten this far and they are probably just running a little late. Next time you'll know your thermometer is off by a bit, and you can raise your temp half a degree for the next hatch. Keep raising it half a degree each time until your hatches come on time.

Enjoy!

9. Eggscalibur

Dec 19, 2009
    Ooh, good idea. I didn't think about the milk thermometer. I have one for cheesemaking, but it didn't occur to me to use it for the eggs. I will get a dedicated one for the next hatch.

10. Eggscalibur

Dec 19, 2009
    Quote:Yes, I did. That's what my local chicken guru said to do. But that one day would obviously make a difference in my count.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by