1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

late hatch...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maurakelly, Nov 5, 2014.

1. maurakelly

maurakelly New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Hi,
    This is my first hatch. I set 6 eggs. I got 5 beautiful chicks on Sunday (day 20). I still have one that hasn't hatched. Did float test and it was still good. Should I start the chick by pipping for it? I know that everyone says to wait but for how long?
    Thanks

2. KatD

KatD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Magnolia, Texas, USA
    Pipping is always a bad idea. I have that worked 24 hour and had a sticky looking gap in the shell because I figured he had lost momentum and was a goner otherwise. so far he is still weak in the brooder and hasn't walked yet after 10 hours. I'll let you know. But I think 5 of 6 is really good. I would wait 7 days before autopsy. While 4 is probably more than adequate if you hatched at 20 weeks. I believe my brooder is too cold because my babies keep hatching on days 22 - 26. I'm in the market for a new thermometer. Cheers!
    Kat D

3. KatD

KatD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Magnolia, Texas, USA
    edit: I have assisted one that worked 24 hours and had a dry gap in the shell as I figured he was getting "stuck" in the shell and was a gonner other wise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by